Beer clarity questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotusworker

Reaction score
So I just started brewing all grain and switched over to kegging at the same time thanks to my new garage.

I am still waiting to put my new stc-1000 together this weekend, but have been plugging in the freezer to keep it cold. I checked the beer after 2 weeks in there with a 11 psi. The beer is not very clear at all. I used Irish moss, but thinking that maybe something else could be used before kegging.

The beer taste is pretty good. Do I need to just be more patient and wait for consistent temps or could I add something the next batch.

Your beer will indeed clear with more time in the keg, or even when using bottles. Consistency in the temperature will help. I keep my kegs in a fridge around 38F. For a new keg, I set the PSI at 25 lbs for the first 48 hours, and then set to 12 PSI for dispensing. This has worked for mid gravity Ales that I brew often.

I also cold crash around 34F for 48 hours before kegging. I would like to believe this helps to speed up clarification. Cheers!

Remember that you're drawing from the bottom of the keg, where whatever gunk you transferred will ultimately settle. The first glass or two may not be very clear.

Cold crashing the primary for 5-7 days prior to racking to the keg will help to clear the beer faster and minimize the amount of garbage accumulating at the bottom of the keg. Also, whenever you move the keg, you may stir things up a bit. It might take a few days or several days to clear again.

Gelatin fining will get you clear beer faster, but it doesn't do anything that time won't do for you. Just takes a few extra days at near freezing temps.

Just like stated above. A keg is just a big bottle. So, just like you get a nice layer on the bottom of your bottles after a couple of days in the fridge, the same thing is happening in your kegs.....just on a larger scale. Since the dip tube on the keg is pulling beer from the bottom, your getting all the yummy stuff off the bottom first. I usually just waste the first couple pints worth. By the time your drinking the 4 or 5 pint, you should see a marked improvement. :mug:

It helps to let the keg sit in the frige for a couple weeks before you start pulling from it. Let the sediment get pasted down firmly to the bottom and you should only have one little shot of crap that comes out with the first pour. Smooth sailing after that. If you use a less flocculant yeast strain though (like Denny's favorite for example) you might consider using a fining agent. Strains like that take an agonizingly long time to clear on their own.

If you leave your beer longer in the fermenter more yeast will drop out. When yeast quits dropping, you get clear beer. If you rush to keg and get a lot of yeast dropping into the bottom of the keg when you chill, you will get quite a bit of "not clear" beer before it clears up.

+1 on the gelatin. Chill your keg for a day so it will throw a haze if it's going to. Bloom the gelatin in COLD water and then heat to 165. Don't boil as it will break it down and it won't work then. Disconnect the gas, open the lid and dump it in. I'm always amazed at how quickly it clears and how clear it actually gets. Plus, it will vegan proof your beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I only ask this since you said it was your 1st AG brew (congrats btw), but did you vorlauf / recirculate the wort on brewday? If not I highly recommend doing so.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

Back