Beer, cider or wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure which forum to post this to, but I figure most of the people with good advice probably brew all of the above.

I have sweet cherry trees. They are ripening now and I need to decide what to do with them. I also have crab apple trees that produce a tart fruit, but not to the point of being unpalatable.

I really want to blend the two. My thoughts are either using them in the secondary for a beer with a "wildish" yeast I harvested, or use them to make a hard cider or wine.

I have never made a cider or wine. Assuming I have until the fall, when the apples ripen, I can figure it out by then (the process, I mean).

I'm thinking I can pick the cherries, pit them and freeze them until the apples are ripe.

So, I guess I'm asking on general opinions about beer versus cider or wine, in regards to the fruits I've got to work with.

I can likely come up with 5 pounds (at least) of cherries. As far as apples, I have three well established trees, so I could easily come up with 10 pounds or more (up to a hundred for all I know).

Maybe look for a recipe for cherry liqueur. I am not sure you can make wine from them.

You should try a "Cherry Wheat". Find a simple recipe (AG) or extract kit for an American wheat beer. Ad your cherries, frozen then thawed...5 to 6 lbs to the secondary.
This should make an incredible beer. Cant wait to hear what you choose. Cheers & good luck!

Back