Beer Chemistry [Why Fuggle?]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
I've bought two AHS kits:

Nut Brown Ale & English Ale.

Just a quick question. Why do these kits always use Fuggle? My Nut Brown Ale has .5 oz fuggle at 45 and 55 minutes in the boil.

Alpha acid content, flavor and aroma profile? Why else do we use the hops that we use? Because they are yummy!

Brewpilot

efreem01 said:
I've bought two AHS kits:

Nut Brown Ale & English Ale.

Just a quick question. Why do these kits always use Fuggle? My Nut Brown Ale has .5 oz fuggle at 45 and 55 minutes in the boil.

A brown ale is traditionally an English style and an English ale is, obviously, an English style as well. The Fuggle hop is an English hop and therefore is correct for these style of brews. If you bought and American ale kit, you wouldn't be using Fuggle. All particular to the style of beer.

You dont have to use fuggle. East Kent Gold is another good hop for English ales.
I like challenger and northdown alot. Willamette is an american fuggle hop, and styrian golding is a slovekeian fuggle ( i think). Any of them will work. The best thing to do is make beers using one hop, this will help you find what you like best about each one.

Back