Beer calculator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeThirsty

Reaction score
Hello!!:drunk:

I am trying to find a beer calculator to help with my so far shotty berrmanship.
Most of these programs and calculators after you plug in the ingredients seem to do everything else like tell you the temp time and amount of water to use...

Is there anything out there to where YOU can plug in all the variables and it calculate abv color etc?

You could always calculate it by hand, though I have no idea why you'd want to. Ray Daniel's book gives you all the info you'd need to calculate recipes yourself.

I've found Beersmith to work very well.

This is exactly what I'm looking for thank you!!! I'm playing around with beersmith, but I may be too simple or retarded to grasp what's going on.

you may like hopville.com's recipe calculator. I find it to be a bit simpler to use than the others.

I like tastybrew's calculator as well, but the advantage at hopville is you can see the changes right away every time you make any little change to the ingredients or process. With most others, you have to keep hitting "recalculate" to see updates. Not a big deal, but it's why I find myself using hopville more than any other calculator.

I like tastybrew's calculator as well, but the advantage at hopville is you can see the changes right away every time you make any little change to the ingredients or process. With most others, you have to keep hitting "recalculate" to see updates. Not a big deal, but it's why I find myself using hopville more than any other calculator.

good to know!

Tastybrew has carbonation calculators that I use. I don't like the recipe one. Beersmith has most of the calculators in one place and it will keep an inventory as well as keep track of costs. I still like hopvile more.

Brewtarget is another nice program worth checking out. I use it if the internet or hopvile is down.

my other main issue with Tastybrew's recipe calculator is that anytime I use an ingredient that is not extremely common, they don't have it listed. Since users can add ingredients to hopville's database, it has literally EVERYHING that has ever been put into a beer - it even has all the specific brands of any particular malt, so I think it calculates the exact stats of each malt you use rather than a generalization. Tastybrew just has general ingredients, like "American 2-row", while hopville has all the specific types of 2-row available and their exact characteristics.

Right on!! Thank you guys for all of the sites and knowledge. I appreciate you guys stopping to help the greenies

Back