Beer Boycott

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boycotts don't work.
You'd have to get the entire population of the world to boycott them to have any effect.
And I've never seen the entire population of the world agree on anything. So it won't happen.
I avoid Walmart because it's a depressing place. Anytime Ive walked into one in the past, my mood instantly drops. The people there are just so morose.
I generally also only buy used. But that's just not feasible with beer and food. Well, I suppose it is, but would you want to? :)

I think that this whole idea is senseless.

While more than a few of us (in general) might drink a BMC product, many of us "boycott" them mostly because we just don't like the products. (Count me as one of those guys).

Fact is, even with the marketing issues, advertising, and whatever underhanded things the big three are involved in, the craft and microbrew industry continues to grow and flourish.

There will always be a place for BMC, and there is going to be a continuing and growing demand for alternatives.

Also consider than many of your craft and micro breweries have partial ownership by BMC. 25% of Redhook is owned by Anheuser-Busch, in turn RedHook owns 40% of Goose Island Brewing, and 20% of Kona Brewing. So to effectively boycott one of the big three, you'd have to give up at least three non-BMC beers. (And that's just one example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redhook_Ale_Brewery

I have nothing against big companies. I have nothing against BMC companies either. I just don't like the beers that made them big. I do drink off brand beers that they own like bass ale. So I don't boycott the companies, I just boycott the products I don't like. It also frustrates me they have all the equipment and capital to brew great beer, yet they don't. The american adjunct mash is actually a pretty complicated mash schedule. They've obviously poured a lot of money into perfecting this complex scheme yet they produce really boring beer at the end. Why not expand a bit and experiment. For example, Unibroue started out making the typical macro lager with the "U" and "U2". But then they started also producing some very fine belgian style ales which have received very high praises on the international scene. Why don't the BMC companies use a little of their capital to try something similar? They are trying a little bit. AB started brewing their American Ale and Coors has their blue moon brand. But they could do a lot better. Again, I don't have anything against BMC. I have something against them producing only mediocre beer.

I have a Honda. I don't see the connection between beer and cars.

Difference is big- vs. small- ticket items. They call beer/alcohol quasi recession-proof due to the nature of cost and effect. Doesn't cost much for beer/alcohol to have the desired effect, whether that effect is tipsiness (BMC swillers) or pure enjoyment (us "purists"). Costs lots more for the autos in question for the adrenaline/aquisition/ownership high. Working for one of the domestic auto companies, I can assure you that the motor vehicle industry is not recession proof. :(

Dave

I was just playing devil's advocate with my post, so I'll continue to. So it's OK to buy from a large company that has a psuedo-monopoly if they are selling big ticket item, when there are better options that just cost more.

All I'm saying is that while we don't have to buy the beers that we don't like, there is no need for a boycott or even the discussion about it

All I'm saying is that while we don't have to buy the beers that we don't like, there is no need for a boycott or even the discussion about it

No question. I'm not actively boycotting GM or Toyota, but I have not bought cars from either of them in years because they didn't meet my needs or taste.

Edit - the Superbowl would be a lot less fun if BMC didn't put those great commercials on. I have nothing particular against them, I just prefer other products. If this provokes them into attempting an American Ale or a Belgian Wit, that's not a bad thing.

While the movie showed some dirty tricks by BMC, especially with shelf space, the fact is, there's over 1,500 breweries in the U.S. now, the highest total in 100 years. Something's working right...

I didn't see the movie (yet), so this might have been covered in it. Back in the 50s and 60s, the Big Three, especially AB, were buying up local breweries and just shutting them down as a means of eliminating competition. Somehow, they didn't get to all of them - Yeungling was privately owned and didn't sell. I always thought that the presence of Yeungling in the Philly market led to the folks here being pretty open-minded about good alternatives to BMC.

umm...no offense but I don't think this board is the best place to start a boycott of the major brewers. I'm guessing that less than 1% of the members of this board drink their stuff anyway, so starting a boycott here wouldn't have much of an impact. Also, while I would agree with you that the major producers beer tastes like ****, the majority of the population disagrees with you, which is why budweiser and miller all outsell the micro brews. People spend their money on what they like, and large corporations invest their money in what sells, if the majority of the population wanted better beer, they would be producing it, but the reality is most people who drink beer simply want a cheap beer that will give them a buzz and reduced calories to "try" to keep that beer gut in check.

Hate to be a buzz kill, but that's the way I see it, though I've already been boycotting the big commercial breweries for years if it makes you feel any better.....I spend my money on what I prefer, just like the rest of the country :)

Many people in this country don't spend their money on what they like, they spend it on what they are TOLD to like. Music, Food, Beer. The other factor is money. People are programmed to buy what is cheap, ie Walmart, and things made in China.
If this were not the case, McDonald's, Nickelback and BMC would not exist.

You are referring to being "brain washed", and while that is possible, that is an issue that won't be solved by a boycott.

As far as buying "cheap" things from walmart, or dining at McDonalds, that isn't necessarily because they are "told" to do so. The vast majority of people shop at Walmart simply because Walmart is cheap and that's all they can afford, or they are just cheap and looking to save a $0.01 where ever they can.

If you can't think for yourself, you have bigger problems in your life than drinking crappy beer.

I'll drink a Miller lite now and then and mostly just when tail-gating for baseball games. It isn't good, but its drink-able, it comes in easily tranportable cans and everybody else is drinking it and I don't have too look like a pretentious tool that lets everyone know I'm too good to drink common folk brew. Plus it tastes like water and I've always heard its important to stay hydrated. They haven't hurt me, have been a big part of the city I live in for years and haven't prevented me from finding any of the micros I want at the liquor store.

However, I have to say, just as I was typing that an ad for Bud light 55 came on. That is just getting riddiculous. Maybe if the future of BMC is -40 calorie beers I might have to rethink what I'm saying.

edit: I should also say I won't touch anything Budweiser related since its sacrilegious here

A boycott is pretty simple for me since I can buy yuengling as cheap or cheaper than BMC crap. The best way to put a hurt on BMC, though, is to introduce others to real beer. With such a huge market share, there are tons of future beer geeks out there just waiting to be shown the light.

I just hope the trend continues and by the time I die, the top 3 make up 50% or less of the market, with a ton of micro and regional breweries taking up the vacuum.

Calling for a boycot is a bit of a harsh way to go about it imo. Granted, their methods & desire to dominate may be pushing the definitions of corporate monopoly to new and different heights (not to mention I probably piss a better tasting product), but they're still American companies that rely on the American dollar to survive. In my opinion, they give thousands of people a steady income and provide an anchor for the communities they employ

Not sure why this makes any difference at all. First, they are not "American Companies" in the sense that their parents are not U.S. incorporated businesses (however I suspect the vast majority of shareholders of all three ARE Americans -mutual funds, pension funds, etc...) but not sure why it matters who "owns a company" that is producing a product on American soil if that is what you are concerned about. Second, if BMC were forced to close their plants because of a massive upsurge in local craft breweries, I guarantee that these small breweries would create vastly more jobs, in local markets in the United States that probably paid a liveable wage and were much better to work for.

Wal-Mart on the other hand...

Not sure this helps your argument here either. If you are concerned about American jobs being lost at massive, highly automated BMC plants, then I would think you would be even more concerned about Wal-Mart, a significantly larger employer in the U.S.

I think a better argument might be to support small local breweries (or any business for that matter) that create quality products that you enjoy and are willing to pay a higher amount for knowing that they will 1) probably not use the revenue to dominate their line of business in a highly dubious manner and force others out of business for the sake of their own gain 2) probably be more inclined to source jobs & materials from the local economy as well and 3) not funnel their profits to large shareholders out of the country.

So I take it that none of you buy from the major auto companies and instead buy Ferrari's, Bentley's and the like. No major appliance companies either, only the smaller really expensive( sub-zero, Viking etc) brands. Of course we all buy only Marc Levinson Audio home theaters systems.....right?

You pay the small guy for quality of the product. All companies that you listed have amazing reputations and make a person willing to spend more for that. If there was a huge company that made an amazing beer, hell yeah, I'd be all over it. We just don't have that problem here.

Mark Levinson Audio rebadges $150 phillips electronics, and sells them for $5000+. Some of our craft guys aren't making any more quality beer than the big 3.

the Superbowl would be a lot less fun if BMC didn't put those great commercials on. I have nothing particular against them, I just prefer other products.

Really? I thought the BMC commercials this year were boring as hell

I don't think a boycott will really solve anything. Those guys are allowed to make the beer they want to make. There is obviously a market for it. A massively under informed market, but a market nonetheless. I rarely buy BMC, just because I don't really like the beer. I buy what I like, and thats enough for me. If local grocery stores and beer stores continue to have good selections, I'm happy.

There is obviously a market for it. A massively under informed market, but a market nonetheless.

They make the market with with their ads, "Good marketing could sell a drowning man a glass of water" .

That said I don't drink any BMC beers ever, Bigfoot & Hopslam are the only usa beers I buy/drink with all other beers being homebrew or Belgian/French- most 99.999% bought in Europe.

So I already have been boycotting BMC for yrs:mug:

I can't remember the last time I bought a BMC beer. Not that all of it is bad. I prefer to purchase "local" beers, like Founders, Bells, New Holland, Arcadia, etc. And some US craft beers or foreign beers that look interesting.

I'd probably not turn down a BMC beer if it was offered by a host, but I would probably be disappointed in it when I got it. There are plenty of light beer styles that still have some flavor.

As far as boycotting, I think that if you don't feel the urge to buy their beer, then don't. Just buy what you like. I am lucky to live in a state with many excellent breweries and our local gas stations and grocery stores are now starting to stock craft beer in decent amounts.

Ok guys, it's not a boycott if you're not giving up something. If you wouldn't buy it anyway, you're not boycotting. And what about folks like Red Hook? Do you have to avoid them? Or maybe you only drink 3/4 the bottle because Coors owns the other 1/4?

As one of the few unabashed lovers of BMC on this board (especially Coors, Coors Light, and MGD), I like the way they taste. There are some interesting things going on in a Coors even if they don't toss some hops and doorknobs into a potato sack and beat you in the face with it. MGD isn't as interesting in my opinion but it is one of the few mass-produced Amercian lagers that taste good at warmer temps so for outdoor barbecues it's a nice beer. And IMHO, Coors Light is a solid session beer at a very reasonable price.

You don't have to agree with other people's likes and dislikes but to believe that people are brainwashed into liking the beer they like is just silly. Marketing focuses attention and is persuasive but it doesn't make crap magically good. Despite what your marketing department believes, there are plenty of products that received massive levels of marketing and have still failed. How many Zima commercials did we endure? Where is that product now? What happened to all those "Dry" beers? Where is Coors Cutter right now? Even if trying a product is the result of marketing, liking it is not.

While the movie showed some dirty tricks by BMC, especially with shelf space, the fact is, there's over 1,500 breweries in the U.S. now, the highest total in 100 years. Something's working right...

I may just be really lucky, but the package stores I go to tend to have at LEAST as much cooler space dedicated to craft brews as they do to BMC. Even the small local stores, it's just about 50/50 - plus, they always have stuff like the Belgians and the other "fancy" beers on the regular shelves. There's a couple places I go, where it's probably 3-1 in favor of craft/micro brew space in the cooler.

I have no doubt they still SELL more BMC, but they're just restocking those shelves more often; the actual shelf space war, I don't think they're winning around here.

Hmm. If everyone boycotted BMC, then the micros would get too huge and you have to boycott THEM, cause they'd get too big. Just drink what you want.

It's not the fact that they are a large company, it's the business model.

For example, they lobby the government to keep strict distributing laws that prevent smaller companies from getting their beers on the shelf.

All major corporations lobby the government for a competive advantage it's just a fact of life and the way the country is set up. A corporate entity has the same right to petition the government as anyone else. If that presents a problem for you then you should petition your representive to change the laws.

As far as excepting a headache inducing BMC product from a host when attending a party, any invitee should arrive at a party with a host or hostess gift. Mine is good beer and I make sure there is plenty for me to enjoy too!

In the case of a wedding or something where a hostess gift is not in order I'll drink water or a soft drink if there's no decent beer. But I refuse to take on a massive headache so people won't think I'm a snob. Let em think what they will.

Mark Levinson Audio rebadges $150 phillips electronics, and sells them for $5000+. Some of our craft guys aren't making any more quality beer than the big 3.

Sorry. I shouldn't have clumped all the companies together not knowing a whole lot about Mark Levinson. But the same still stands true. Drink what you like. If a craft brewery puts out a beer that isn't what I like then I'm not going to buy it no matter what it costs and if the BMC somehow pulls an amazing beer out of their nether regions I'd happily partake. I just don't see the big deal. Go hug a tree, it''ll have a bigger effect on the planet than boycotting a BMC.

Sorry I can't join the boycott.....I drink what I like and really if you think back to what you grew up with or started with then I'm sure alot of us have fond memories of good american classics. I mean how many good weekend do you recall drinking good ole "Beast" or "Natties ICE" because it was cheap and easy to get........

I still like some of their beers, I enjoyed a nice Mickies Amber Bock last night after I polished off a 6er of sw 420. I guess I'm alone here but I get cravings for different beers from time to time....

Hell, drinking games with coors light paid for my weekends while in the service.

All major corporations lobby the government for a competive advantage it's just a fact of life and the way the country is set up. A corporate entity has the same right to petition the government as anyone else. If that presents a problem for you then you should petition your representive to change the laws.

Unfortunately, the richest usually get their way. What the government is doing is IMHO nothing short of bribery. If you can take that and say "oh well, you don't like it YOU can try to bribe them"... well I guess we can end this conversation.

...Drink what you like. ....

Completely agree with this. My issue is with all the people who think everything Macro is crap, and everything Micro is gold just because its micro. Its indy syndrome. There are a lot of terrible microbrews out there.

Unfortunately, the richest usually get their way. What the government is doing is IMHO nothing short of bribery. If you can take that and say "oh well, you don't like it YOU can try to bribe them"... well I guess we can end this conversation.

That's capitalism. Most people seem to think completely free trade (which includes rigging the game to favor yourself) is a good thing.

(I'm not sure I agree, btw)

Pepsi and Coke do the same thing with marketing,distribution and shelf space. Why not boycott them? Ooooh ya not many of make our own sodas . I will drink a Miller or a Coors product without shame at times they fit the activity. I don't like Bud so I don't drink it.

I was 20 minutes into that movie when I read the thread. I'm holding off brewing until I can start kegging, but I see what your gettin at. I'm milking the last of my bottles for as long as I can, then I'll be back to buying commercial.

That's capitalism. Most people seem to think completely free trade (which includes rigging the game to favor yourself) is a good thing.

(I'm not sure I agree, btw)

No offense, but that's not free trade. Free trade does NOT include rigging the game. Unfortunately, that the bastardized free trade that we now enjoy here in America.

No offense, but that's not free trade. Free trade does NOT include rigging the game. Unfortunately, that the bastardized free trade that we now enjoy here in America.

Free trade, IE, unfettered capitalism, involves those most fit to do business making the most money. Investing in tuning the business environment to your better is most certainly within the confines of capitalism.

What people prefer to call "free trade" isn't really free trade at all. Free Trade has no rules. We don't want actual free trade.

You can't hate monopolies and talk about "true capitalism". Monopolies are ALWAYS the end product of unfettered capitalism.

I think you may be bringing this up to the wrong crowd. It is far too easy for use to boycott BMC. I haven't purchased a BMC product or any of its other brands in several years, I also don't buy boxed mac 'n cheese anymore. My taste buds have changed.

Call it what you will in our system it's officially called a contribution.

And I'm not saying "oh well" I am saying if you don't like it DO something to change it. If you don't have money you may have time. There is some contribution anyone and everyone can make to effect change even if it is only to vote.

But in our current system a corporation is simply an entity comprised of people organized to make money. And anyone can lobby for legislation they deem desirable or against what they consider harmful. It's as easy to write your congressman as it is to post on this site.

I wrote the governor of my fair state and asked him to veto a bill passed by the Georgia legislature. And he did! Was it on the force of my agrument alone, I seriouly doubt it. But I may have contributed in some small way in effectively blocking a harmful bill from becoming law.

Free trade, IE, unfettered capitalism, involves those most fit to do business making the most money. Investing in tuning the business environment to your better is most certainly within the confines of capitalism.

What people prefer to call "free trade" isn't really free trade at all. Free Trade has no rules. We don't want actual free trade.

You can't hate monopolies and talk about "true capitalism". Monopolies are ALWAYS the end product of unfettered capitalism.

Who is "we"? I sure hope you aren't lumping me in that category.

If that movie twists your knickers then watch these:

King Corn
Food Inc.

I was pissed and sick after food Inc.

Back