Beer boxes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask your liquor store if they carry anything in returnable bottles. Those come in a really nice heavy duty cardboard case.

+1

The boxes that the "bar" bud bottles are really sturdy. When I used to work at a package store we charged a 1.50 deposit on the boxes, and a lot of homebrewers would come in to get bottles from us. We just charged them the $.05 deposit cost, I'm sure if you ask they wouldnt have a problem.

Contact your local beer distributor. In GR, the biggest is Kent Beverage. I used to work for a distributor in Flint and we always had more beer boxen than we knew what to do with. They should be more than happy to load up your vehicle with all the boxen you need!

I have 3 cases of pints from the 70's in really heavyduty carling black label boxes...I would LOVE to find more boxes like those. (and some more pints as well) They don't make boxes like that anymore....but makes decent boxes though, nearly as thick as my old ones.

So does anyone know where I can buy/find some good strong beer cases? I need something that will work well for storage and transport. Any ideas?

I was looking around a month ago and started using these:

1695_LG.jpg

They hold 24 bottles and the holes are a convenient drying rack while bottling. They also stack together very well. I have about 15 and am very happy with them. I picked them up at Rona, but Staples has them as well.

Paul

How tall are they LayMeister? Do you know how many 16oz or 22oz bottles fit, and if the bottles are taller than the crate?

How tall are they LayMeister? Do you know how many 16oz or 22oz bottles fit, and if the bottles are taller than the crate?

You can stand up 16 oz (500ml) bottles - they are exactly the max height for the crate. I also have wine bottles in them, but they are on their side.

Paul

If you don't feel like asking for handouts and don't mind spending a few bucks, the economy storage boxes (here) are perfect. They hold 30 bottles perfectly with a bit of room to slide cardboard slats in between the rows of bottles to keep them from clanking around. They are also very sturdy and last quite a while as long as you don't get them soaking wet. I've got them stacked 4-5 high too since floor space is very limited in my place.

One of the legal file boxes from Staples will hold 20 22 oz bottles. They stick out the top, but you could easily stack them a few high.

Thanks for all the great ideas. It is clear that at the rate I am emptying the bottles I will need to start building up a surplus. Who knows, maybe someday I'll even have enough to share like I had planned on from the start!

I grab them from the beer store in Big Rapids. If the store has a good selection of beer, then they likely have some boxes. There is a deposit, but it's worth it. I've also got some Michelob Holiday Sampler boxes, but they are not real heavy.

Back