beer bottle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

beekeeperman

Reaction score
Anyone using the 22 oz. size beer bottles. Pros/cons ?
I'm new at this but thinking larger bottles = less cleaning, less money,less caps and capping.
Besides, can't have just one12 ozer can we ?

CUrchin

Reaction score
I use 12/16.9 and 22 oz.

Disadvantages of larger bottles, IMO:
-Take a little longer to carb.
-Sometimes for something really strong (Barleywine/RIS) I prefer to not have 22 oz of beer.
-They don't fit on the upper shelf of my fridge.

Jayhem

Reaction score
We can get a lot of beer in VA in 22oz bottles so I probably have 24 of those large bottles.

The only disadvantage I see is if you make a 10% abv Belgian or DIPA by the time you finish 22 oz of it the last 8oz are room temp, at least if you like to sip and enjoy your beer instead of just getting drunk.

MarshmallowBlue

Reaction score
I usually do a mix of whatever I have laying around (usually mostly 12s and 22s). Nothing wrong with bombers for sure though. I'm really growing on 16oz bottles but they are tougher to find than bombers and 12s.

TheVenerableMead

Reaction score
I get the pint (16oz) bottles from my local homebrew shop. They're just the right size for me. Bottling with these costs about 1.5x more than their 22oz bottles. I'm also saving my 12oz bottles for bigger brews. 16 or 22oz of barleywine is a bit of a challenge for maintaining my steadiness... and dignity.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I have a small collection of quart bottles that take normal caps. Love them for ordinary gravity beers. Probably would not put a > 7% ABV beer in one though.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
Another issue with 22's is that you have to do 2 pours which means the second pour will probably have the yeast from the bottom of the bottle mixed in. I prefer 12's for that reason and I don't always want to drink more than one beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

pricelessbrewing

Brewer's Friend Software Manager
Reaction score
I like to use a mix of 12 and larger bottles. Typically I like to have at least one large bottle per batch to forget about and leave to age for awhile.
Maybe 70% 12, 15% 22 and the rest either 330, 550, 750, or whatever I can get ahold of.
I get my bottles from local bars, just pay deposit and a small tip for their time. Usually have to call ahead and have approved by manager/owner. Sometimes I get a different manager working when I go to pick up and they don't want to deal with it, but usually they're cool about it if I don't come in when busy.

krackin

Reaction score
I like 22's for special session or event brews. 12's are good for taking out or sending out. I need to get more 22's, I really like them.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I bottle, I use 12oz for the majority of the batch, but always fill a few 22oz bombers. Great to have on hand to share, or when I know that I want more then a single glass of brew.

agrazela

Reaction score
22oz do seem to take a bit longer to carb. And agreed that the second pour can get more sediment.

I typically fill half the batch into 12oz and half into 22oz. Then I drink the 12oz'ers first. Once I break into the 22's, I know it's getting time to brew that style / type again.

krackin

Reaction score
I got a few .5 litre straight wall mugs so there isn't a second pour problem at all. This is another reason why 22's stay home.

skitter

Reaction score
I had the same question a few weeks ago. However I have come to appreciate pouring 1/2 of a bomber into a 16oz glass, just snapping the cap back on, and putting it back in the fridge till I'm ready for a refill. I keep to 1 bottle a night that way and it helps me regulate my intake on the weekdays

pricelessbrewing

Brewer's Friend Software Manager
Reaction score
I would imagine that you lose a lot of the carbonation at that point, as the C02 displaces itself from the beer into the much larger headspace.

skitter

Reaction score
I would imagine that you lose a lot of the carbonation at that point, as the C02 displaces itself from the beer into the much larger headspace.

Not noticable when you drink the whole thing between getting home at 5 and going to bed at 10. My bottle opener keeps the lids pretty straight and they have to be pressed back on with my thumb pretty hard. Usually they hiss back at me when I open them the 2nd time and not a huge amount of loss. Better than pouring 2 glasses and just letting it dissapate

yohoe

Reaction score
I use both 12 and 22. 22 only fits onto my top shelf of the refrig so refrig size is a limiting factor.

The carbonation differs between 12 and 22. I had an American wheat and the carbonation was perfect for 12 but too high for 22. 22 has almost 2x the beer but the same 1 inch space for CO2.

Cleaning ~21 22oz is ALOT better than cleaning ~54 12 oz. time is money.....

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew