Beer body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
So I made my first black IPA. Suggestion was for a little more "body". What should I add. Main base malt was 2 row... 10lbs for a 5 gal batch along with midnight wheat & crystal 60.

Did a stepped mash from 131 up to 166, mash out @172. Added cane sugar to boil as the recipe called for. It's good but a friend that loves black IPAs commented that it needed just a little more body.

Why the step mash? If the movement from 131 to 160 is slow most will be converted at the lower temps before you even hit 155.

The simple sugar dries it out, reducing body. How much? Please post your recipe/ingredients.
Using a half pound (or a bit more) of CaraPils will help in retaining body.

What he said.

Seems to be a low mash temp (maybe a slow rise in temp) and the sugar.

I like to mash Black IPAs at 152. Gives it the right amount f body imo. Also, depending on how much you are carbing, that will affect it too.

Did a stepped mash from 131 up to 166, mash out @172. Added cane sugar to boil as the recipe called for. It's good but a friend that loves black IPAs commented that it needed just a little more body.

what was the FG?
however, no cane sugar, and a 155 or up mash will help for the body!

^^ No cane sugar... Get that out of your malts. I'd say 152-154 should hit you in a good spot and you will finish in a good place depending on your yeast as well. I wonder if you could also use melanoiden. That might be a no-no for many people here, however I find that it adds a nice caramel breadiness to my beers.

I was trying to hit both the alpha & beta amylase with the step mash. It's not thin or dry but just a fraction lighter than a commercial microbrew black IPA.

Back