Beer backflow into CO2 bottle :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobtx3

Reaction score
Hi folks, first post. I've managed to backflow beer through my reg and into the CO2 bottle. About 200mls. Don't ask me how... I know it's dumb but if it's possible I'll somehow manage.

So what should I do? I don't want to buy a new bottle, this one cost enough. I'm thinking pour brewsan down it

Last edited:
Man, that's a real bummer. You basically have two choices:

1. Empty then tank and then have the neck removed. Honestly, I would probably take it to a place that works with tanks like a hydrostat shop, a gas filling or welding place, or maybe even a dive shop. I would talk to someone there and see what they can do for you.

2. Exchange the tank. If you tank is nice or new, I would just have it cleaned. Not a great option, but it is what it is.

I don't think putting any more liquid in it is the solution, because it will lead to regulator failure, mold, etc.

Do what Yeastmode said.....and then replace the valves on your regulator(s) with check valves...that way beer cannot back up into CO2 bottle

The beer could flow back to you regulator but not to your CO2 cylinder. There is to much pressure in the CO2 cylinder for the beer "backflow" into it. Well maybe; if your keg had more pressure and the CO2 tank was empty? Unlikely.So what happened?

Tank magically emptied in last couple days, I did not notice and tried to quick charge a keg that I temporarily disconnected by connecting to the outlet to bubble the beer. Perfect stuff up. Instead I injected beer into my empty tank. Reg is ok. All rubber and brass so soaking in keg sanitiser.

Thanks for replies. I think I'll have the top taken off and give it a thorough clean out. What a bummer.

You may be able to take it off yourself (at least according to Youtube) but I am fairly sure that they use some kind of thread sealer when it is reinstalled. If it is close to needed a hydro anyway, you can probably just have it done at the same time for the price of the hydro, being that they empty the tank and remove the valve to perform the hydro, I believe.

If you got beer in your tank...then the scenario Laszlo explained is the only way......

i suggest CHECK VALVES on your CO2 lines...and it will never happen again

Since the tank is empty you should be able to just exchange for a full one. Typically your Co2 tank will always have more pressure than the keg so no added valves are needed under "normal' conditions

Tank magically emptied in last couple days, I did not notice and tried to quick charge a keg that I temporarily disconnected by connecting to the outlet to bubble the beer. Perfect stuff up. Instead I injected beer into my empty tank. Reg is ok. All rubber and brass so soaking in keg sanitiser.

Thanks for replies. I think I'll have the top taken off and give it a thorough clean out. What a bummer.
Funny, same thing happened to me. 2 kegs, 2 seperate CO2 tanks. Installed the kegs for carbing, both reg set to the same pressure. 3 days later, I went to check, and 1 of the kegs was empty, so was the co2 tank... well, it had beer in it instead, like 2-3 oz. The beer was under the deck (the small bar fridge the kegs were in, is on a deck). I was really puzzled. Sort of glad to see i'm not the first one this happened to. I wonder if the darn reg has been affected.

Back