Beer backed into the regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday my son n law said when he went to pour a beer the beer just trickled out of the tap. When I got home I checked it and there was beer in the co2 line . I disconnected the line to dump the liquid out . I took off the regulator and took the connectors off and used my air compressor to blow out the liquid. I tried to take the main housing apart but it wouldn't come apart. Luckily I have another regulator . So I hooked it up and back in business. Now sitting here at work I thought how did it get to the regulator on the tank but not effect my secondary regulator .

yeah, that's certainly a good question worth investigating.
wrt removing the regulator bonnet, they generally are right-hand threaded to the body. On some you need to remove the knob first...

Cheers!

I'm going to check out my secondary regulator today. Hopefully I can get the main regulator apart .

Did you notice if it was connected correctly before disassembly? To avoid these scenarios, I always place my gas post in the same side of the keg each time as well as orientate the keg in the kegerator with the posts always facing the same way. I also have different colored gas and liquid lines. Yeah, I am an engineer and brewer with mild OCD....

Did you notice if it was connected correctly before disassembly? To avoid these scenarios, I always place my gas post in the same side of the keg each time as well as orientate the keg in the kegerator with the posts always facing the same way. I also have different colored gas and liquid lines. Yeah, I am an engineer and brewer with mild OCD....

Yes they're on the right post. I'm pretty sure the reason is I force carbed it for about 3 days . When i tried it on Monday it needed a tad bit more carbonation. I grabbed the top of the keg and shook it back and forth a bit . I didnt lay it on its side but I think it may have been enough shoot up the gas post because it was still hooked up . And my son n law checked it today and beer has found it's way back in the gas line . So it appears my secondary regulator is bad and I'm hoping it didnt ruin my spare main regulator.

It could just be the check valve in the shut-off on your secondary that is faulty, if it has one. If it doesn't, I would recommend switching out the shut-offs with ones with built-in check valves, or get some in-line check valves to go between your secondaries and your post QDs.

Update. Secondary regulator full of beer . I dont think it got to the main regulator though. I have the secondary one pulled apart to rinse it and let it dry then I'll put back together. 15574464133729040456465019733734.jpg

I don't think those are check valves on there, just regular shut-off valves. Micromatic also does not include check valves on their regulators. It's not an issued for commercial kegs, because the sanke coupler has a check valve, but it becomes a problem if you're using corny kegs.

One way to tell for sure is to look through it. If it's just a wide open bore all the way through the valve, there is no check in there.

Back