Beer ATM to replace bartenders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think this could be especially useful at busier breweries. Have a beer ATM station somewhere in addition to the regular bar, to take some of the load off of the bar.

We have one of those in my town. It's the best thing ever.
There is a wall of taps that are constantly rotating.

You get an RFID bracelet. Pay by the ounce when you're finished.

If you have any problems with a beer then you don't have to pay for that pour.

It's not putting bartenders out of business. this is a completely different type of drinking experience.

And MUCH more affordable. Why? Because I can sample the entire wall for about $20 without wasting a ton of money at a bottle store or at a bar for something that doesn't end up being good.

http://www.pourtaproom.com

To take this into the danger zone......

If your area passes a $15 minimum wage.... Expect to see a lot of automated services....... The bartenders will become glass washers, if they still have a job.

Lots of benefits for business owners and some for the patrons as well. As a patron, no more waiting around for the bartender to get to you to give you a beer - just get up and get one. Less down time with an empty glass = more drinking = more revenue.

There are a few of these around here. It started with liquor, where they had a tap at your table and you were charged by the ounce. I've witnessed personally how it's MUCH easier to drink more when you are serving it yourself, thus racking up a much bigger tab.

Not really my cup of tea, but I don't really go out for beers all that often in anyways. When I do, it's usually to watch a hockey game or catch up with a friend. I don't really care how I'm getting my beer, as long as I'm getting it!

Another step into the danger zone......

wtrs%20mfgs%20may%202017_0.jpg
us

Could this increase in waitress/bartending jobs be because there are less and less manufacturing jobs????? And those manufacturing workers are now waitressing/bartending.....

Another step into the danger zone......

wtrs%20mfgs%20may%202017_0.jpg
us

Could this increase in waitress/bartending jobs be because there are less and less manufacturing jobs????? And those manufacturing workers are now waitressing/bartending.....

Well.....yes.

And you're right about the $15/hour min wage. It will force businesses with lots of employees at minimum wage to let some go, and automation will take over for others.

Maybe this isn't the right forum for this, but it's part of the larger set of issues surrounding robots, automation, and wages.

A place called Walk Ons in this areas does the tap tower built into the table thing. I've never used it, but it always seemed like a cool idea to me.

There's a pizza place near me that has a "beer wall." It only has about 10 taps and one of those is always Bud-Light which is mind boggling. There was a wine/tapas place that used this same model. I loved it, but it got a little spendy. I called the taps "wine slot machines." The wine place closed after about a year.

Personally, I have had a very tough time getting a second drink at multiple places around Atlanta. It bothers me because not only do I want another beer, but the restaurant gets more revenue if I drink more. I can't believe servers aren't encouraging me to drink more. Having a tap wall would help that for sure.

We have a few of these in California as well although the first place I saw one was Arkansas while traveling.
I've been once - - the per-ounce cost is prohibitive to drinking a full pint. What seems really cheap at first ($0.45/ounce) quickly adds up to $7.20/pint.

I have a place close to me called Beer Thirty which has (yep) 30 rotating beers on tap. They are not a brewery, simply a bar/taphouse run by beer enthusiasts. Always happy to pour a sample, talk about the beers, make recommendations, etc.
They also have a beer cooler with about 50 different bottles available to purchase and drink on-site.

But I digress......it's an interesting idea and one that seems to work in crowded areas (judging by the crowd inside when I look while passing by).

I love this idea. There are a few bars in the area I like but the service is absolutely terrible and it's held me back from going out a few times.

Is there a limit on amount total or per hour? Just wondering how they stop someone from abusing it and overdrinking.

We have one near me....I absolutely positively HATE IT.

No relaxing by the bar...I need to get up for EVERY beer and I still feel obligated for leaving a tip to the bartender that does NOTHING.

WAY more expensive than a bartender serving you

Good luck having a machine offing a buy back......

I will never go back and ANY place that has this crappy setup will never get my business......HATE is an understatement

I can see this increasing sales of beer. No more waiting, just go and get what you want. And since I'm pouring it myself, there's no reason to tip the bartender. There's a chance that increased sales and more competition could bring down the high beer prices? But someone always get screwed by technology, that's just the way it is; looks like its bartenders and waitresses now.

We have one near me....I absolutely positively HATE IT.

No relaxing by the bar...I need to get up for EVERY beer and I still feel obligated for leaving a tip to the bartender that does NOTHING.

WAY more expensive than a bartender serving you

Good luck having a machine offing a buy back......

I will never go back and ANY place that has this crappy setup will never get my business......HATE is an understatement

I think this depends on the establishment and their use of the machine.

I think it would be great if you could get sample sizes, then if you find one you really like to get a full pint. The price should be about the same as from the bar. I would hope to see one with a large selection.

I haven't heard of any in my area. But then again I rarely go out for a beer or even dinner.

I would not tip if there was no service given. I frequent a self serve Chinese Buffet, I don't feel obligated to tip, and don't unless I have pennies and sometimes nickles in my change. That goes into the jar on the check out counter.

I think this depends on the establishment and their use of the machine.

I think it would be great if you could get sample sizes, then if you find one you really like to get a full pint. The price should be about the same as from the bar.
Back in the day no one would ever ask for a sample of bud or coors, the only thing on tap.
Things are different now with all the unknown craft beers at every bar.
I always ask for a sample of a beer or two and never get frowned upon. It's normal these days and expected. Those samples are always free. I don't need to leave my chair and it strikes up a conversation with the bartender. Buying/selling beer by the ounce is nothing more than a way for the bar owner to scrape every last cent out of you.....Hate it

Back in the day no one would ever ask for a sample of bud or coors, the only thing on tap.
Things are different now with all the unknown craft beers at every bar.
I always ask for a sample of a beer or two and never get frowned upon. It's normal these days and expected. Those samples are always free. I don't need to leave my chair and it strikes up a conversation with the bartender. Buying/selling beer by the ounce is nothing more than a way for the bar owner to scrape every last cent out of you.....Hate it

If you can sit at a bar and be tended on, why so much hate for a system that I could use to avoid waiting for a bartender to get around to me.

Again it is how the establishment uses it. Or the individual using it. I would like to be able to get a sample of a few beers, then decide on one that I wanted more of. That could be a problem at a busy bar.

Fortunately I like most beers, but I have bought a glass of many that were not my favorite, yet I now had 16 ounces to drink before I could try another.

I could easily be in conjunction with a full service bar. It could even dramatically increase their sales, though that might not be a great thing......

If you can sit at a bar and be tended on, why so much hate for a system that I could use to avoid waiting for a bartender to get around to me.

Again it is how the establishment uses it. Or the individual using it. I would like to be able to get a sample of a few beers, then decide on one that I wanted more of. That could be a problem at a busy bar.

Fortunately I like most beers, but I have bought a glass of many that were not my favorite, yet I now had 16 ounces to drink before I could try another.

I could easily be in conjunction with a full service bar. It could even dramatically increase their sales, though that might not be a great thing......
My wife and thought it was the coolest thing we ever saw when we first saw it on social media. We planned a lunch trip specifically around the bar...we both agreed it was a let down. To each there own...somebody must like it there still in business.

We went during the late day and the wait is actually worse than a regular bar. There is a plaque above each beer explaining what it is and people stand directly in front of the tap reading it....forever. I cant imagine when theres a bar full of people

Maybe this way I can order a Beer without out it being garnished by a lime or lemon. A local German beer made a mile down the road from a bar served me their lager with a lime wedge. I was speechless.

This is interesting. We just got one in Nashville, and I haven't tried one but I will. I used to be a person to ask for a sample, but as my palate has changed and refined I noticed that I just go with a beer (a claimed style that I already like) and give it a chance. Therefore, I don't ask for samples anymore...it's not russian roulette, I drink beer!

Usually this is where a good bartender comes into place. I've had good bartenders and Ive had bad one's, but it's hard to beat a good one. Someone that has knowledge of an unknown selection of beers is worth my extra money (a tip).

...And dont get me started on the automotive industry! I grew up in a family supported by this. The solution is simple...quit parking those F'ing toyotas in your driveway!!! Buy AMERICAN, your argument is irrelevant......................

I'd be surprised if this paradigm passes muster in my state.
A basic premise of serving laws here is someone responsible is doing the serving and can shut down a "baked" customer.

Which is fine with me, I don't find the concept particularly compelling...

Cheers!

Well I feel like a small bar typically only has about 3 or 4 people working a shift.
The Pour Taproom (the one near me) always has 4 employees and a manager clocked in managing the taproom.

So the job isn't lost. It's just a different job.

Regarding getting wasted, after a certain amount of ounces, your RFID band is cut off and you have to go check in for them the up your limit.

My wife and thought it was the coolest thing we ever saw when we first saw it on social media. We planned a lunch trip specifically around the bar...we both agreed it was a let down. To each there own...somebody must like it there still in business.

We went during the late day and the wait is actually worse than a regular bar. There is a plaque above each beer explaining what it is and people stand directly in front of the tap reading it....forever. I cant imagine when theres a bar full of people

Again this seems a problem with the execution of the system by the facility. They need to list the beers elsewhere so there is no a back up at the self serve taps.

Back