Beer at the White House

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
Heard a story on NPR this afternoon on the meeting at the White House among the president, Professor Gates, and Sgt. Crowley. They reported that the president is going to have a Bud Lite, the professor a Red Stripe, and the policeman a Blue Moon.

Putting aside the general blah-ness in their beer choices, I feel like there's some symbolism in their beer choices, whether intentional or not. Thoughts?

Bud Light - perfect politician beer? Water yourself down to appeal to the largest possible audience.

Bud Light - perfect politician beer?

I don't think the politicians can win on this one. If he chose some expensive beer the public would be whining about how we're in a recession with too much debt already and the president is wasting tax payer dollars on fancy beer. I think choosing bud light is a strong move to show that he's still in touch with regular Joe since most of America (outside of this forum) regularly drinks beers like BL.

I don't even want to think about if he'd chosen a Porter or Stout- "Why'd he chose a dark beer over a pale ale?"

:mug: :D :mug:

Did you hear the discussion w/ the owner of Sam Adams after that on NPR? It was funny, they were slamming them because nobody was drinking beer made by an american owned company.

That was sad. I thought he had a good response to the interviewer's question about what kind of beer he would make for the occasion. He said he'd make a dark lager with "ingredients from all around the world" or something to that effect. Said that would represent America's racial tensions and that we have people from all over the world, etc.

Isn't Sam Adams America's largest American-owned brewery now?

Isn't Sam Adams America's largest American-owned brewery now?

I think that largely depends on how you define America-owned. Pabst who rents other peoples tanks, Boston Beer who contract brews a lot of their beer or Yuengling which makes every drop in breweries in which it owns. A bit of a touchy subject from what I've read.

The thing I find funny if the disparity I find between buying American cars and buying American beer. The ones you usually find screaming buy AMERICAN cars are usually the ones buying BMC in large numbers. When questioned about the factories of such automakers as Toyota and Honda, which have factories in the US, and may even used more US sourced parts in their cars, they counter the argument that the profits from that car goes to another country.

Isn't that the exact same damn thing that goes on with the beer you're drinking by the case. It's the king double standards. I couldn't possibly think of a bigger one. The great American lager my ass. But in this case which company is making more profit from your purchase; the mostly bailed out American auto industry or the macro beer companies?

If you want to buy American to support the economy buy American beer at least. Or brew your own. But please don't use any of those imported malt or hops. ;)

Back