Beer and tower tap always sticks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penutbuttrdeath

Reaction score
Ive only kegged 3 times and i have a double tower tap. If i wait a day to pour a beer the taps always stick and i have to almost force the tap open, but once the beer starts flowing the tap slides back and forth like butter. I would expect some stickyness from the beer but its just seems like it sticks more than it should. All the beers are low FG... Must be the cheap tap tower i have.

Wouldnt be a big deal but i didnt realize i was out of a beer in the keg and the tap handle wasnt closed all the way due to the stickyness and lost all the co2 in the tank.

Standard taps are more geared towards continuous use. Often in the home brew situation they don't get used often enough to not get stuck/sticky.

Perlick brand forward-sealing faucets are a different design, which is not as prone to sticking. It is easily the preferred faucet design for home tap setups.

I should be drinking it enough that I dont have a sticky issue... But AA meetings might effect my social life. Thanks for the perlick option.

I should be drinking it enough that I dont have a sticky issue... But AA meetings might effect my social life. Thanks for the perlick option.
Another vote for perlicks.. I had the others at first and every tap sticked the next day, some beers worse than others. One trick you can try is putting grain alcohol or vodka in a small spray bottle and spray up the faucet holding a rag under it. This will loosen it up every day until you get the perlicks :)

:tank:

Another option is to keep a spray bottle of vodka, cheap gin or pre-diluted StarSan around. Then place a dish rag under the faucet & spray out the inside once a evening.

Back