Beer and the common cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
to drink my Pale Ale tonight or not to drink it... I have a cold... with the whole hacking out my lungs problem and sore throat. But its about week 6 since I brewed my pale ale and I really think I need to try another bottle to see how its coming along. It started off pretty weak so i've been trying one every couple weeks...

So far Knob Creek bourbon in the evening has done wonders for my cough/throat. Beer couldn't hurt right?

It's not going to hurt your cold, but you're not going to be able to evaluate your beer very well in that state. Your nose is not working correctly so you're not going to taste as much, and of the flavors you do get, they won't taste the same as when you are healthy. Sour things tend to taste sweeter, for example, when you're sick.

ooh, good point, maybe i should just pickup some cheap beer instead... or stick with water... boring water...

Perhaps a sacrilegious statement on HBT, but Rum...in large quantities until unconsciousness brings me joyous relief of cold symptoms. Do not drive, operate heavy machinery, make financial decisions, etc.

It's not going to hurt your cold, but you're not going to be able to evaluate your beer very well in that state. Your nose is not working correctly so you're not going to taste as much, and of the flavors you do get, they won't taste the same as when you are healthy. Sour things tend to taste sweeter, for example, when you're sick.

I agree with the weirdboy here. I had a bad bout of flu last year that hung on for several weeks, and it was torture not to taste the beer I had that just came online. But I figured if I wasn't tasting it at 100% I was possibly wasting a good beer.

SO I made due with cheap stuff and the "reject" beers I still had on hand from so-so batches.

My advice, get some more bourbon for medicinal purposes only, of course.:drunk:

Bitterness is actually good for your digestive system, so a pale ale would help you digest the all important nutrients your body needs...just saying...

I think that whenever the question is asked, "To have a beer, or not have a beer?" that the answer is always "yes". Always.

That said, I just got over the worst illness of my life. My husband believes I had swine flu. Anyway, I was beer-less for about a week. But once I was able to sit up, I did go back to my evil ways.

I don't know. I usually like scotch when I'm not feeling my best. Actually, I like it when I AM feeling my best too. That and beer.

I've said it before in a different cold thread...

It's a hot toddy you should be drinking.

1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1 measure (37.5ml) of Good Quality Irish Whiskey
1 Thick Slice of Lemon with 3-5 whole cloves stuck in it
Hot Water to about 250ml...

Remember a metal spoon will help stop a glass breaking but we have propper glasses... Maybe you'd have some kind of hot coffee glass handy...

That'll cure you!

Beer kills/prevents cancer ? Ive done a search, and suprisingly I got opposite results......although it doesnt look like its been "proven", alot of places seem to say that even moderate alcohol consumption increases risk of cancer! I wish it wouldnt be so harmful, but out of all the alcohols out there beer is the less dangerous :p

The only hard known fact is that hops prevent cancer, and one would need 60 normal beers to get that benefit. Perhaps 30 ales, or 20 stouts, still too much to drink beer for the benefit!You would need a beer so high in "IBU's" it would render it undrinkable.

somehow I got unsubscribed so I didn't get the hot toddy info :( that would have been great lastnight.
Maybe I'll pickup the stuff for it on my way to the GF's apt tonight. Just gotta go lighter on it since I need to drive home.

Some Nyquil and a few shots of Jack Daniel's usually makes me feel right as rain.... :p

*** DISCLAIMER ***

jackass2.jpg.w300h225.jpg

alot of places seem to say that even moderate alcohol consumption increases risk of cancer!

At some point, someone somewhere with some letters after his name will say that just about everything you come into contact with causes cancer. Then someone else will debunk that. Then someone will debunk the debunker...

You can't live life worring about it because none of these yahoos REALLY knows what causes cancer...

So, here to a cup of health... :mug:

lol yeah come to think of it ive read once that tannins (esophogal cancer), white flour/sugar increases risk, MSG, red and white meat.....common radiation(cell phones), some sweeteners....list goes on. I think it might be shorter list if you mention what doesnt give cancer...

Oxygen, unfortunatly many of us live in citys where theres pollutants that cause cancer :p

I've said this quite a few times on this forum, but I'll say it again. I know it's not the most fun answer, but alcohol decreases the body's immune system response. A little is no big deal (like in Nyquil), but in a nut shell, the more alcohol consumed, the more prolonged your cold.

At some point, someone somewhere with some letters after his name will say that just about everything you come into contact with causes cancer. Then someone else will debunk that. Then someone will debunk the debunker...

:off:
Good point! I don't have letters after my name, but I think I figured it out. Life causes cancer... sometimes. It has been proven that you don't get cancer when you're dead.

Good point! I don't have letters after my name, but I think I figured it out. Life causes cancer... sometimes. It has been proven that you don't get cancer when you're dead.

The way I've heard it is: If a human lives long enough they WILL get cancer...everytime.

Back