beer and intestinal gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm writing this topic because i have huge intestinal gas and cramps after beer drinking... i have tried many methods to resolve this problem, but no help, it's always the same.....

though i like to drink beer, sometimes it drives me crazy.

does anyone of you have the same problem, is there a way to solve it?

thanks alot!

Are you talking about homebrew and bottle conditioned beers specifically or ALL beers in general?

Some folks initially experience some gas and maybe some bloating when the get involved with homebrewing and drinking larger amounts of "living beers;" beers that are bottle conditioned, and have a greater percentage of yeast in it than commercial light lagers.

In most cases your body adapts/gets used to it. And actually living yeast cultures are good for us, they contain vitamin b and nutrients.

In my case it was about a year/year and a half before my stomach got used to it...and you wouldn't have wanted to be near me after a couple homebrew. It wasn't cramps, just really intense yeast farts.

Cramps may indicate something more serious, perhaps even an allergy either to the yeast or even gluten (you don't have issues with bread do you?)

No pathogens can live in beer, so nothing can grow in there that can hurt you; it's just that often people's tolerance levels to higher levels of yeast and or gluten can't handle it.....But like I said, usually you body adapts to it.

It's normal. The beer farts will subside after a few weeks of regular homebrew. It's your gut getting used to the yeast, is all.

Graduated with Honors myself, lol.
University of Gas

Too funny!

UofGas.gif

What frat were you in? I was in Alpha Kappa Stinko, myself.

lmao revvy!
I think I was in Fartsa Thikya Pukka. haha ... I let one go that was so bad once, the cat tried to cover me.

The funny thing was, that all of a sudden at some point all that yeast fart stuff just stopped happening. I think it was even 6 months or more after it stopped being a regular happenning, that I even noticed my body didn't react anymore.

on my soapbox ----

It's not just the yeast - it's the oligosaccharides as well! They are very long complex sugars (from cell walls, yeast that don't get converted to alcohol in your beer, but the bacteria in your gut and intestines just love them!

If you make a bigger beer, you'll have more oligosaccarides.

Also, think about why chili makes you, um......

are you putting yeast in your chili?

/off soap box

on my soapbox ----

It's not just the yeast - it's the oligosaccharides as well! They are very long complex sugars (from cell walls, yeast that don't get converted to alcohol in your beer, but the bacteria in your gut and intestines just love them!

If you make a bigger beer, you'll have more oligosaccarides.

Also, think about why chili makes you, um......

are you putting yeast in your chili?

/off soap box

Yeah, okay, BUT it is still very very common to us homebrewers whether it's yeast or oligowhateveryou call them....:D

yum chili.......

69.jpg

:D

Haha, Nice Revvy.

Some fun fart facts!

How much gas does a normal person pass per day?

[SIZE=+1]On average, a person produces about half a liter of fart gas per day, distributed over an average of about fourteen daily farts.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] Whereas it may be difficult for you to determine your daily flatus volume, you can certainly keep track of your daily numerical fart count. You might try this as a science fair project: Keep a journal of everything you eat and a count of your farts. You might make a note of the potency of their odor as well. See if you can discover a relationship between what you eat, how much you fart, and how much they smell.[/SIZE]

Do men fart more than women?

[SIZE=+1]No, women fart just as much as men. It's just that most men take more pride in it than most women. There is a large variation among individuals in the amount of fart gas produced per day, but the variation does not correlate with gender.[/SIZE]

Facts on Farts

so what's for lunch Revvy? chili or stromboli?

I had corn beef actually....:D

So if it's the same whazzitucalled it that causes the gasseys, how come we eventually adapt to our homebrew....but NOT to chili? Is it frequency of us?

I drink a lot more beer than I eat chilli. Although I love my corneydogs I maybe have a bowl of chili only a couple times a year.

Even though this is a serious question I just can't stop laughing.

So if it's the same whazzitucalled it that causes the gasseys, how come we eventually adapt to our homebrew....but NOT to chili? Is it frequency of us?

my completely unscientific guess would be that chili has so much more oligowhateverthey'recalled than home brew. Also, I think you mentally adapt to the effects of homebrew.

In addition, my theory that green beer has more oligos that properly aged beer (where the oligos settle out in the trub) comes into play here. As we mature as brewers, we are letting our beers age longer and longer. I dare you to do a 1-2-2 method on a big thick stout - my guess is your body isn't as adapted as you thought! Heck, maybe I should pursue this subject as my master's degree?

I drink a lot more beer than I eat chilli. Although I love my corneydogs I maybe have a bowl of chili only a couple times a year.

Okay, but isn't it true that a real Detroit coney doesn't have beans in the chili? No bean = no oligowhateverthey'recalled = no farts

Even though this is a serious question I just can't stop laughing.

farts are as funny to a 50 year old as a 5 year old - always have, always will be :D

My first exp was with a beer machine. Add can o stuff, water yeast, and maybe sugar. The beer ferments in the serving container. Being my first home brewed beer, I sampled it before it was even done fermenting. OLY COW!

After a while, my body got used to it. I taste my hydrometer samples from a small glass I keep in the freezer. I don't think it affects me at all....now.

Good thread :mug:

Took me at least half a year to get over the morning after revenge from drinking craft beer. It isn't homebrew, it is non-BMC/super-light lagers.

Give it some time and your guts will adapt and you will have no more gas from beer than you do from anything else.

my first beer ever brewed was a wheat.DO NOT give your SWMBO a hefe dutch oven unless you have a comfortable couch!

Took me at least half a year to get over the morning after revenge from drinking craft beer. It isn't homebrew, it is non-BMC/super-light lagers.

Give it some time and your guts will adapt and you will have no more gas from beer than you do from anything else.

Perhaps its not JUST our guts that are adapting to the yeast. Maybe after some time our beer brewing gets better and we get more complete flocculation, clarity and pouring habits. I for one know that my beers are now a lot more clear than when I initially started. Whether thats from less protein haze or yeast who knows.

Also, I think it's everything, the yeast, oligosaccharides and just beer itself that are what cause this.

After I transfer from my primary to secondary or bottling bucket, I usually try and drink the little bit that the siphon didn't get. This thread explains a lot LOL. I just thought I was awesome at farting... :)

You must consider yourself as the final fermenter for your beer. Once you have grasped that, and accept yourself in this process, you will find peace.

And you need to fit yourself with a #3 stopper and airlock filled with Essence of Roselips (Bath and Body Works).

I just farted and I havent had any chili or homebrew today....wrap your mind around that!

That reply got me laughing.. Classic..

Perhaps its not JUST our guts that are adapting to the yeast. Maybe after some time our beer brewing gets better and we get more complete flocculation, clarity and pouring habits. I for one know that my beers are now a lot more clear than when I initially started. Whether thats from less protein haze or yeast who knows.

I think this is a common misconception. I cut my (intestinal gas) teeth on the best craft beer the world has to offer. By the time I started homebrewing I had zero reaction of any kind to it. I prefer the taste many belgian yeasts impart and for many of them swirl the yeast cake into suspension.

Basically, I am saying that it isn't anything homebrewers are doing. It is just bigger beers with live yeast still in suspension craft, homebrewed, or otherwise.

Or I am wrong, and I am just acclimated to farting so much and drink so much beer that my body hasn't recovered in the last 6 years so I am in a consant state of tooting from drinking good beer... :ban::mug::tank::fro::drunk:

I think I know what he is saying. My roomie and I hate each other in the same room now. Its my first batch and first time drinking home brew. I feel like a zeppelin or better even a rocket that never lifts off. I think nasa should look into the collection of new home brewers so they may collect gases.

Sorry bringing back an oldish thread but next thing we know Al Gore will be blaming Home brewers/craft beers for global warming or climate change or whatever they are calling it now.

So keep it on the DL K?

hm, I'm reading this thread from the very beggining and wondering.

can you tell me one thing - as far as I understand the main producer of gas inside my intestins is yeast.

this very sensitive, gentle, subtile, tiny yeast that we are all so afraid it might be killed if it is pitched at 5 degrees higher temperature than it is written somewhere...

sooooooooooo:

how come this sensitive, gentle, subtile yeast survives gastric acid - one of the strongest acids at all????

as far as I understand the main producer of gas inside my intestins is yeast.

No, don't think so. Long-chain sugars that get fermented late in the the digestive system are responsible for intestinal gas. Do a google search for raffinose.

The stomach contains enzymes (like your mash!) that break down (hydrolyze) many sugars, but not raffinose. However, the raffinose does get hydrolyzed by bacteria in the lower intestine, resulting in... yep... phlurburburburb-phssst.

No, don't think so. Long-chain sugars that get fermented late in the the digestive system are responsible for intestinal gas. Do a google search for raffinose.

The stomach contains enzymes (like your mash!) that break down (hydrolyze) many sugars, but not raffinose. However, the raffinose does get hydrolyzed by bacteria in the lower intestine, resulting in... yep... phlurburburburb-phssst.

hm, is there a way to fight it or at leas to reduce it but not reducing the beer amounts that I consume?

It's not the yeast that produce the gas, themselves, it's digesting the yeast that's giving you the farts from hell. It's the same with digesting the oligosaccharides. To put it simply, you're body can't do it, so all those lovely bacteria in your gut are doing it for you.

If anyone is having some gut troubles from beer, and they just aren't bearable (or improving), try Beano.

TL

It's not the yeast that produce the gas, themselves, it's digesting the yeast that's giving you the farts from hell. It's the same with digesting the oligosaccharides. To put it simply, you're body can't do it, so all those lovely bacteria in your gut are doing it for you.

If anyone is having some gut troubles from beer, and they just aren't bearable (or improving), try Beano.

TL

I've tried beano - no help. it's the same..... :confused:

Try simethicone. (Gas-X, or generic equivalent. 4 bucks at WalMart.)

Back