Beer and Cinema...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was a film major back in college (alright, I was video production with a film minor...) and, although I've studied the classics, the indies and everything in between, I have some guilty pleasures.

One of these is BeerFest. I love to, especially on a Friday night after work, sit down with a Homebrew or other good beer, some sort of grilled meat and fried potato and watch this movie before going out. It really gets me in the mood to drink beer and have fun all night.

I've often wondered, are there any other movies out there like this? I can only think of one other which is Strange Brew. That movie's alright, but are there any movies closer to the tone of BeerFest? Are there any other good drinking movies?

Haha I love this movie too!

You asked about drinking movies. This has nothing to do with homebrew but try it sometime: Rent "The 10 Commandments" and drink a shot of the cheapest wine you can find (we used Franzia) everytime someone says "Moses."

If you want to go insane, drink everytime they say "God" also.

Smokey and the Bandit.

Hard to imagine paying that much money to smuggle Coors to the east coast. Thank god for the selection we have these days!

walk hard: the dewey cox story

always a good laugh and songs you can sing to

if you are feeling adventurous and want to spend less at the bars, take a drink of beer every time "dewey", "cox", or "dewey cox" is said and finish your beer every time someone is cut in half with a machete. good times.

i'm sure other recent college grads can add light on this subject.

Superbad is probably my new favorite and a couple recent ones Ive seen are College and Sex Drive. Sex Drive is possibly one of the funniest movies ive ever seen especially when Seth Green makes his apperance.

Id say my favorite to drink to is Beerfest. I agree with Skewedale, there is just something about sitting down with a big steak and a mug of Spaten and putting that movie in the dvd player that is awesome. I also like getting a 4 pack, or more, of Murphy's Irish Stout, or Beamish and watching Boondock Saints! Thats a kick ass movie. Watching Good Will Hunting makes me want to drink beer too.

I just saw Tropic Thunder and thought man, that **** is funny. You really have to think of it from the point of Robert Downey Jr. though as he is just so deep into it that the entire movie becomes over the top rediculous. I watched it twice just to make sure that it was as crazy as I thought, and each time I sat down with a growler of hombrew!

But when I want to get my drink on with a good movie, I go with Super Troopers, Beerfest, Office Space or Old School. Office Space holds that special spot although the others are great as well.

Hamlet 2 aslo just seen and it is crazy as well!

Hamlet 2 aslo just seen and it is crazy as well!

+1 on Hamlet 2. Hilarious!

Not sure about drinking movies, but here in Salt Lake we have a great place to drink AT the movies. Brewvies is a "Cinema Pub" where the rows of seats in the theater have a long table in front of it. You can order food and beer before you sit down and they will bring it to you right at your seat. They play great classic comedies on their cheap night, when admission is only like $2 or something. Very cool concept and I love going in every month or so.

Tropic Thunder is hilarious! Especially when you realize that the writers are making fun of all of the stereotypical actors and their personalities. Beerfest was funny, but no all that great IMO.

We watched Hot Fuzz the other night and laughed our asses off. Those guys are good.

How about the best portrayal of beer on film, those moments where you just can't help but grab one from the fridge or pull one from the taps...

My vote goes to Shaun of the Dead's portrayal of the pub "The Winchester"...

Last edited by a moderator:
The beer scenes with the hobbits from Lord of the Rings always make me super thirsty for a cold and frosty....Hobbits know what its all about...:mug:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYUtTTPXPm0]YouTube - Korpiklaani - Beer Beer (LOTR)[/ame]

I have to agree with pretty much every post so far.

I definitely agree with Reverbbq, both Shaun of the Dead and LOTR have some great bar scenes in them, I was thinking of those as well when I started the post.

It's not a movie, but the show "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is great to watch while drinking. Freaking hilarious, and it takes place in a bar! I need to go buy season 3....

I have to say that Always Sunny is one of my favorite TV shows and is a great show to have some drinks while watching.

Along the same lines as that is the movie Swingers, its a good classic.

Strang Brew is a great one... "Yeah. OK, well, uh, we found, uh, this mouse in a bottle of YOUR BEER, eh. Like, we was at a party and, uh, a friend of ours - a COP - had some, and HE PUKED. And he said, uh, come here and get free beer or, uh, he'll press charges." Classic.

family guy is another good one.

I hate to cause some hate (!) but the only reason for Family Guy to exist is for Chicken Fight. They could rename that stupid show the "Chicken Fight Comedy Hour" and I would tivo the hell out of it. With beer.

Here's one totally out of left field, and you can knock me for it if you want. Ever see the movie Sideways? true, it has a "chick flick" quality to it, but Paul Giamatti makes it great! I not huge-huge into wine, but whenever i see that movie, I wanna kill a bottle afterwards.

anyone watch the show Deadwood on HBO? all they do is drink whisky shots the entire time. i hate Bourbon and it even has me wanting to take shots of it after seeing hours of it.

+1 on Hamlet 2. Hilarious!

Not sure about drinking movies, but here in Salt Lake we have a great place to drink AT the movies. Brewvies is a "Cinema Pub" where the rows of seats in the theater have a long table in front of it. You can order food and beer before you sit down and they will bring it to you right at your seat. They play great classic comedies on their cheap night, when admission is only like $2 or something. Very cool concept and I love going in every month or so.

+2 on Hamlet 2, that movie is side splitting hilarious.

I love Brewvies, that place is hella cool, i've been going there for 10 years now. Although i have one problem, i was born with a bladder the size of a peanut and when your drinking beers and having to run to the bathroom you miss some of the movie. It's not like you're at home and can pause it. It wouldn't be so bad if the bathrooms were closer to the theaters.

Back