Been thinking of doing a Berliner Weisse but have 1 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoKramer

Reaction score
Will souring the wort in my current mash tun make it unusable later? I know fermenting sours makes the plastic buckets a huge crapshoot for the next brew if its not a sour so I assume that my cooler tun will do the same no?

Will souring the wort in my current mash tun make it unusable later? I know fermenting sours makes the plastic buckets a huge crapshoot for the next brew if its not a sour so I assume that my cooler tun will do the same no?

NO, your mash tun does not need to be sanitary! Souring a batch in it is no risk IMHO. Of course, a good cleaning and maybe a dash of sanitizer will do fine afterwards.

Most anything preboil is infected, grain has the lacto souring bacteria on it naturally, hence why we need to boil.

The MT is preboil...RDWHWHB

NO, your mash tun does not need to be sanitary! Souring a batch in it is no risk IMHO. Of course, a good cleaning and maybe a dash of sanitizer will do fine afterwards.

Most anything preboil is infected, grain has the lacto souring bacteria on it naturally, hence why we need to boil.

The MT is preboil...RDWHWHB

Awesome, so the biggest thing is instead of killing off the bugs right away you let them do their thing for 2-3 days and then kill them off good to know thanks! :mug:

If you are worried about it, just make sure after you clean your mashtun that you rinse it with 160F+ water. That will pastuerize, a.k.a. KILL, all of the lactobacillus and/or other bacteria/wild yeast.

Awesome, so the biggest thing is instead of killing off the bugs right away you let them do their thing for 2-3 days and then kill them off good to know thanks! :mug:

Never did one, but I thought one method is to do the mash, let cool to around 120 and add a few cups of fresh grain to introduce the souring lacto... I think you can purchase specific cultures as well.....

Thinking I would like to try this as well, so please post your experience, good and bad.

Never did one, but I thought one method is to do the mash, let cool to around 120 and add a few cups of fresh grain to introduce the souring lacto... I think you can purchase specific cultures as well.....

Thinking I would like to try this as well, so please post your experience, good and bad.

Will do, itll probably be a few more weeks worth of research before I get going on it but I will be sure to take many pics and post it up.

I just did a sour mash and I used my old 5 gallon boil pot, held it in my fermentation chamber at 110 for 5 days. Poured it through a paint strainer into my boil kettle.

Back