Been away for a few years - what equipment is probably still okay to re-use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

MooDaddy

Reaction score
Been a few years since my first and only brew and I'm ready to get back into it again. Question - even though I cleaned the carboy and fermenter and other equipment after the brew was done, are there any components that are more susceptible to contamination after such a long layoff and simply need to be replaced, or is a good cleaning and sanitation enough to get cooking again?

Thanks much

Hoppy2bmerry

My hop trellis brings the boys to the yard.
Reaction score
Welcome back. I think you are good to go with a deep cleaning and sanitizing. If you used a bottling bucket with a spigot, disassemble the spigot to clean it.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any vinyl hoses should be replaced, they're relatively cheap. Disassemble everything you can and give it a good soak in PBW or oxyclean, and rinse well. If anything has rust, pitch it. O-rings should be replaced as well.

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It is probably the safe bet to replace the hoses and maybe even o-rings. But if they were put away clean I wouldn't worry too much about them. Some routinely replace all their plastic. In 7 1/2 years I have only replaced some tubing that got grungy. So I vote just clean and sanitize well. Use Starsan or Iodaphor for sanitizing. The all in one sanitizer/cleaners that are supplied with some kits do neither job well.