Beef and Mushroom Stew with fruity Tripel base?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenmusic

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a relatively simple beef and mushroom (shiitake and portabello) stew tomorrow, with some other veggies I have on hand and such.

I also have a few bottles more than a case of 22s of my first tripel, which has, so far, seemed too fruity for my tastes (it was in the upper 80s at high krausen; I was new!). I'm more than willing to let it try to age that out a bit (and it seems to have done so, to a degree), but I'd be happy with sacrificing a few bottles to use as a base for this stew.

Do you think this fruity Tripel would make a decent base, or would it simply be too strange? Any condiments I could add to counteract that fruitiness, or will the mushrooms do enough of that work for me? If anyone strongly disagrees with my idea, I'll just fall back on some chicken stock that I made a few weeks ago.

Also, how about serving it over some small elbow pasta? :D

Back