Bee Cave Kolsch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am going to brew Ed Worts Bee Cave Kolsch this weekend. What boil time did you guys use for this? The recipe calls for 60 minute boil. I haven't made anything with Pilsner malt but everything I have read said you should boil for 90 min to avoid DMS? If I boil for 90 minutes do I still keep the same hop schedule 60 min, 15 & 5?

Bee Cave Kolsch

Well, you can get by with 60 mins if your boil is vigorous (especially the last half). You could bump it up to 90 mins without problem I suspect; maybe a tiny bit of darkening may result, but I doubt it'd be noticeable. Just make sure you account for the extra boil-off time with your pre-boil volume.

And yes, if you boil for 90 mins you just don't add hops for the first 30. Unless you're first wort hopping (not in this recipe).

I brewed this recipe last fall and did a 60 minute boil. I didn't include a Diacetyl rest either. In the end this was a great beer....as a matter of fact I keep tellling my self it'll be the next one I brew.

Also, your pot size makes a difference. I brew with a really wide pot now (I didn't before) and now I never need to boil 90 minutes to rid DMS. My pot is so wide and I get a vigorous enough boil (with a good burner) mine are always fine and I use a BUNCH of pils malts. So the answer is depends.

Yeah, unfortunately the boil time/DMS thing is fairly dependent on various brewhouse setup factors. The only way to tell for sure that you'd be fine with a 60 min boil (or a 90 minute) is to actually try them. But I think that you'd likely be fine either way, so long as you don't have a terribly sluggish boil.

Back