Beano!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
Ok ive heard a little bit about adding beano to the primary. What does it do (chemically) and why should you do this?

if you have too may unfermentable long chain sugars, beano(alpha amalyse) can break the long chains into fermentable sugars that the yeast can use.
i used it once when my barley wine stalled and it got it down a few more points.
warning - if used, fermentation can go a lot longer than you may be prepared for.
(almost had a batch of bottle bombs - have vented the bottles 4 or 5 times since april /06)

It contains an amylase, helps break down long chain sugars into shorter, fermentable ones. One would do this if one did a poor job of mashing, or had crappy LME or DME that didn't want to ferment. It will help your SG drop a little more.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
It contains an amylase, helps break down long chain sugars into shorter, fermentable ones. One would do this if one did a poor job of mashing, or had crappy LME or DME that didn't want to ferment. It will help your SG drop a little more.

Aw man! I wish I new this on my 3rd or 4th batch when I had a stalled fermentation & ended up with a FG of 1.029 on a Cali Common. Man that just did not taste right at all... it was almost mead like... :D

I once used it on a porter that got stuck at 1.036, and several weeks later when i bottled it, it had dropped to 1.018. Afraid of bottle bombs, I put some bottles in the fridge and others in a large plastic red tub that is covered with a towel.

Back