beano in wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
if i add beano to a pot of DME dissolved in water for a couple hours before the boil, will it work to make the wort more fermentable? is 90minutes enough time? what temperature is best or just room temp?

i dont want the FG to drop to 1000 which it would if i added to the fermentor instead.

never added it before the boil, and I will never try it again in the fermenter. was a fun thing to do at the time but its also the only time I ever had bottle bombs.

I haven't used beano, but I read an article in BYO about it a couple of years ago. They added to the fermenter, not the boil. I bet the enzyme in there would be denatured by heat, so I wouldn't add it to the boil.

Yes, 90 minutes would be enough to increase the fermentability. Start with water around 100F and only do half of your DME. It will de-nature in the boil (~135F), so you don't have to worry about total malt destruction.

Do not add the balance of the DME until the wort has been above 135F for 5 minutes or you hit 180F.

Wow, I must say I'm surprised. At first I thought this was some joke/troll about trying to make your beer give you less yeast-farts but... This is actually some useful information! :mug:

Yes, beer farts are caused by gut bacteria processing the unfermentable sugars. Your body can digest them, but the bacteria are faster.

dont think that this worked for me. I dissolved ALL my extra light dme into water, brought to about 100F, and added 3 crushed beano tablets for about 90mins.

I also did a minimash with some toasted 2row, alittle vienna, and about 4oz crystal40.

After about a week of fermentation, the gravity is 1011, which seems what it probably would be even without the beano

if i add beano to a pot of DME dissolved in water for a couple hours before the boil, will it work to make the wort more fermentable? is 90minutes enough time? what temperature is best or just room temp?

I have simply added 1 tab that I crushed in a sterile manner to a cool wort right before I pitch. Attenuation using WL CA was 86 and 88% the two previous times I used it. I think WL says I should have 74-80% attenuation w/ the CA strain.

No need for pre soaks or anything like that.

yeah ive read it denatures at 130F.

the point of adding before the boil was so it can increase attenuation and get a lower beer but not as much as it would if added to the primary

I don't think this would work. Beano is made up of alpha-galactosidase, which is an enzyme that breaks down alpha galactose into simpler galactose monomers...which, if my knowledge is correct, S. cereviseae don't break down galactose.
Anyways, the above posters were right in that the enzyme would be quickly denatured upon the heat from boiling.
Creative idea though!

Back