Beach/Vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using 1oz bleach with 5 gallons of water, then adding 1oz white vinegar to the 5 gallons and using this as a no Rinse Sanitizer?

When mixed with vinegar bleach releases deadly chlorine gas. Best to avoid!

Just buy some Star San.

paranode said:
When mixed with vinegar bleach releases deadly chlorine gas. Best to avoid!

Just buy some Star San.

When mixed directly together it does, but not when added to water first. However, unless you're trying to kill anthrax, you're better off just using star san or iodaphor.

Chuck Talley the creator of starsan talks about the proper and safe way to mix vinegar and bleach and not wipe out the whole family.

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

I use the bleach/vinegar solution at times. It is good to mix up your sanitizers once in a while to keep the nasties on their toes.

I am still not brave enough to use bleach as no rinse, no matter what Charlie says. You may not taste it in the water, but it takes surprisingly little free chlorine in your fermenting beer to produce chlorophenols (they have a very low taste threshold). I am not certain he considered that when he made that statement about no-rinse. I am not brave enough to test the hypothesis, either.

Back