BCS-controlled, glycol-chilled conical fermentation setup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltManMike

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm planning out a BCS-controlled, glycol-chilled conical fermentation setup. I have an ssbrewtech glycol chiller that I got a great deal on. I've considered several control options and I think the BCS is my best bet. Not only do I already use a BCS in my brew control panel, which gives me familiarity, but I also like that it's almost plug-and-play and I can have logging, pre-programmed temp ramps and smaller temp swings that other available controllers don't currently offer.

I've gone through many threads on glycol builds, some involving BCS units. Most seem to use a single pump, often constantly running, with several electric ball valves or solenoids controlling flow between fermentors. I'll have two ~14 gal conicals (likely ssbrewtech unitanks) to start, but I'd like the option to expand up to three or four later. The brewtech FTSs has individual controllers, each running one pump to one conical. I'm thinking I'd like to use a BCS to run one small submersible pump per conical, each pushing a single chill line to and from its fermentor. No electric valves, no bypasses, no ladder logic.

Glycol line run lengths will be short. It'll be indoors at a relatively constant 20C/68F. I'll want heating pads/wraps as well.

First thread post is a sanity/feasibility check. Any potential issues or considerations that may not have occurred to me? Did those that built with a single pump consider this setup too? I'll follow up a little later with a couple wiring and box design questions.

Thanks.

I use an stc1000 to control my homebuilt glycol chiller (static at 25f) and use bcs to control a pump and heating pad for my spike conical. I have the gear for a second conical, but havent plumbed it up yet. Works great so far

I went from the STC 1000 plus to brucontrol myself to do what you're describing I've never used BCS but brucontrol does work just fine with pre-programmed ramping profiles and is a little more versatile to boot because you can use any type of temperature sensor that you want as well as arduino-based Hardware. You can also add multiple Arduino based control panels to the software and control them all which makes the whole package more cost-effective when you're using it for brewing and fermentation.

I use an stc1000 to control my homebuilt glycol chiller (static at 25f) and use bcs to control a pump and heating pad for my spike conical. I have the gear for a second conical, but havent plumbed it up yet. Works great so far

A followup to my post earlier. I plan on trying to build bcs logic to only chill the glycol to the temperature neighborhood that my ferm requires to save $.

Back