BB Robust Porter...problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButchTN

Reaction score
One of my last 3 extract kits before I try all grain. Brewed it yesterday following all the directions and was extremely sanitary. The only thing I did differently was I used a White Labs "California Ale" liquid yeast instead of the included Muntons because I had a problem with the Muntons once before. My local HBS recommended it for this batch. I took it out of the fridge several hours before pitching and shook it up before adding it. To this point, 36+ hours after I put it in the fermenter I still have no activity (bubbles). I may be jumping the gun here because we usually let our brews sit at another buddy's house for fermentation and I just haven't seen this, but I'm getting a little worried. Should I be?
:confused:

EDIT ON 9-24-8
At about 1:00 PM today it will be 72 hours since I put it in the fermenter and I still have no activity. As a matter of fact the solution in the air lock seems to be going in reverse.

It can take up to 72 hours for a liquid yeast without a starter. So the answer is don't be worried yet. My guess is tomorrow it will be bubbling away. It's some kind of rule that as soon as you write your "I'm worried" thread, fermentation takes off.

Ok...sorry, I just read orfy's "Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to start" post. The post even made reference to liquid yeasts so I think I'm ok. I guess I'm another culprit of "post first, search later."

Sorry bout that!
:drunk:

It can take up to 72 hours for a liquid yeast without a starter. So the answer is don't be worried yet. My guess is tomorrow it will be bubbling away. It's some kind of rule that as soon as you write your "I'm worried" thread, fermenation takes off.

Yep...sorry...thanks for taking the time to answer though.

One of my last 3 extract kits before I try all grain. Brewed it yesterday following all the directions and was extremely sanitary. The only thing I did differently was I used a White Labs "California Ale" liquid yeast instead of the included Muntons because I had a problem with the Muntons once before. My local HBS recommended it for this batch. I took it out of the fridge several hours before pitching and shook it up before adding it. To this point, 36+ hours after I put it in the fermenter I still have no activity (bubbles). I may be jumping the gun here because we usually let our brews sit at another buddy's house for fermentation and I just haven't seen this, but I'm getting a little worried. Should I be?
:confused:

EDIT ON 9-24-8
At about 1:00 PM today it will be 72 hours since I put it in the fermenter and I still have no activity. As a matter of fact the solution in the air lock seems to be going in reverse.

Sorry I thought if I edited my original it would put it back up top, that didn't work.

Have you taken a gravity sample yet? If not, do so. If your readings tell you no fermentation has taken place, get some active yeast in there pronto.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would thing a 72-hour lag time is a good thing.

Learn a lesson from this, Butch: White Labs vials are NOT "pitchable". There simply aren't enough active yeast cells in that little tube to do the job. You need two vials or an active starter. Hell, for most beers, an "XL" smack-pack from Wyeast isn't enough.

So I'm not going to tell you RDWHAHB; I'm telling you to take a gravity reading and have some yeast - US-06 is a good dry yeast for this application - on hand.

Let us know what happened!

Bob

That's ok- but tell us, how's it going now?

It's going backwards in the airlock. No activity whatsoever. I'm thinking it had to be a problem with the yeast. Maybe I didn't let it sit out long enough. I'm sure I had it out of the fridge for 4 hours at least.

Can I get some more and repitch it?

Learn a lesson from this, Butch: White Labs vials are NOT "pitchable". There simply aren't enough active yeast cells in that little tube to do the job.Bob

Oh yeah I believe you, I was just doing what my LHB shop dude told me to do. I even specifically asked if I needed to make a starter and he said "no."

If he knew about this, he should have been smart and sold you two vials. :)

But he probably believes WL propaganda instead of brewing science. Correlate the 70-140 billions cells in one vial of WL yeast to the minimum of 180 billion cells needed to properly pitch a OG 1.050 wort! Does not compute! ;)

Cheers,

Bob

If he knew about this, he should have been smart and sold you two vials. :)

But he probably believes WL propaganda instead of brewing science. Correlate the 70-140 billions cells in one vial of WL yeast to the minimum of 180 billion cells needed to properly pitch a OG 1.050 wort! Does not compute! ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Ok...I checked the grav just a second ago and it's 1.044 and I started with 1.050. It still smells great, but absolutely no foam. I still have the Muntons that came with the kit. Will it be ok to pitch that in or should I just dump it and start over?

I'd pitch the Munton's. Sounds like your first yeast has started - sort of - but the lack of krausen concerns me. 72 hours is too long a lag time, in my opinion.

Cheers!

Bob

depending on the gravity, read lower is recommended, you can toss the vial in there per the instructions. just count on 24hrs minimum before it gets going.

[Larry the Cable Guy voice = ON]

Naw. Might make 'em go blind, though.

[Larry the Cable Guy voice = OFF]

:D

LOL!!!:D

Anyhoo...I threw the Muntons in and it seems to have done the trick. I did it about 5 hours ago and I just noticed the solution in my airlock has been pushed the other way. I'm sure it will be quite lively in the morning. Thanks for all the help for everyone who responded to my desperation.

LOL!!!:D

Anyhoo...I threw the Muntons in and it seems to have done the trick. I did it about 5 hours ago and I just noticed the solution in my airlock has been pushed the other way. I'm sure it will be quite lively in the morning. Thanks for all the help for everyone who responded to my desperation.

HO LEE SHIAT!! Yep it's definitely working now!! :D

I'm glad to hear it's finally going. You must have gotten a batch of wimpy yeast on the first go around.

I just re-pitched for the first time in 4 years of brewing. My first yeast crapped out at 1.03 and refused to budge. After only a few hours since re-pitch my airlock is finally making the appropriate noises and actions. I guess we can both pat ourselves on the back for getting our brews going. :D

Back