BB Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUCatBrewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just wanted to toss this plug out and see if anybody had an opinion.

I've noticed that Brewers Best has taken some punishment here on HBT, but it's what my LHBS has to offer, so that's what I've been brewing since I started in January...my first two brews were....just ok...but I know I didn't leave them in primary long enough, and I made a few other mistakes.

My 3rd batch was an Imperial IPA kit from Brewers Best; 4 weeks in primary, racked straight to bottle. I just had my 2-week taster, and the foam retention is GREAT, and the flavor is such I'd be happy for my friends to try it (I'm a new brewer, but I've been a Craft Beer nut for a long time...I know a good IPA). I can't believe how good it turned out, and am excited for what they'll taste like in 2 more weeks.

With that said...is BB really that bad? I've since brewed (2) more BB kits that are fermenting and will do another tomorrow...I'm curious to see how they turn out. Any good thoughts on BB?

Thanks!

My very first brew ever was a BB kit, their Hazelnut Amber Ale. For not knowing what I was doing, I got rave reviews from all who tried it. As my first time out, I followed the instructions to the letter except I left it in primary (didn't do secondary) for a tad over 3 weeks. I would use one of their kits again if the price was right but seems to me they're more expensive than similar ingredient kits and much higher than just sourcing the ingredients individually.

I was a big fan of the American Pale Wheat BB kit. I have a recipe on here that based on that kit minus a few procedural changes if you'd like to check it out. My LHBS also carries these kits exclusively. He does have all the regular ingredients as well, and winemaking supplies too. At any rate, if YOU like it that's all that really matters.

The Brewer's Best Kits take a hit on here because you can't know how fresh the ingredients are, not because the kits are bad. If you buy a box of cereal that has been stored in a warehouse for months before getting to the store and you buying it you could conclude that the brand of cereal is bad when it has nothing to do with the brand. Yes, their kits are a bit more expensive than some but they are complete with quality ingredients.

Latest posts

Back