Bayou Classic #SQ84 ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcbjr77

Reaction score
Anybody own one of these or heard anything about them. I just bought one yesterday mostly because of the wind shield. I'm on the fence to bring it back and get the Blichmann Floor Standing Burner.

I went to my LHBS and bought a 32qt Brewrite pot by Polarware and I'm happy with that, just still up in the air about the burner purchase, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll probably still be doing extract brewing and maybe a full boil if it allows.

Larry

Anybody own one of these or heard anything about them. I just bought one yesterday mostly because of the wind shield. I'm on the fence to bring it back and get the Blichmann Floor Standing Burner.

I went to my LHBS and bought a 32qt Brewrite pot by Polarware and I'm happy with that, just still up in the air about the burner purchase, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'll probably still be doing extract brewing and maybe a full boil if it allows.

Larry

I have the sq14. It's the same burner without the wind shield. Mine works great even on a windy day

Larry
The Camp Chef that I use for my BIAB setup uses the same burner as the Bayou ,and also has a wind screen. If you're brewing outside, that windscreen helps to keep the heat more constant in the wind, but you'll still have to watch your boil, as a breeze will still steal your heat. It will also tend to concentrate the heat to the center of the pot a bit more than the Blickmann, but that doesn't affect its effectiveness.
The Blickmann uses the same (or similar) burner to the KAB4 Bayou. It spreads the heat more evenly across the pot, but even with the wind screen, is more susceptible to being blown out in a wind when on low heat.
With your small pot, the Bayou is great, especially if you brew outdoors, and would easily handle pots up to 60 quarts. If you brew in a garage, where the wind problem would be less, the Blickmann/KAB4 would be a great choice especially if you plan to go bigger than 60 quarts eventually.

I just ordered the S-10 from Amazon. Should be here next week. I like the wind shield. I brew on my screened deck and when I screened it in I made a section w/plywood just to block the wind.

20150224_194950.jpg

Back