Bayou Classic SQ-14 and keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I am working on my keggle and am looking into a burner. So far every thing I have read points to the Bayou Classic SQ-14 found at home depot

Bayou Classic Single Burner Outdoor Patio Stove - SQ14 at The Home Depot

I don't see my self doing much more than 5 gallon batches and definitely no more than 10 gallons

I just want to be sure that this set up will work fine. I don't really want to spend more than $60.00 on a burner but, I also want something that is going to work well with my keggle doing at most 10 gallons but realistically 5 gallon batches.

I used mine for the first time this Friday on my keggle doing a 5 gallon batch. No problems at all even though it was incredibly windy. About 40 minutes to get a boil from 70* F water, but that was because I couldn't get an ideal air/gas mixture because of the wind. I have heard 20 minutes is the norm.

I have a little trick I have been using to get the boil going quicker.

After my first sparge and I have about 2/3 of my boil amount. I put the kettle on the burner and fired it up to about 1/2 the power. By not waiting until the end, the liquid is usually still around 150-160 degrees from coming out of the mash tun and raises pretty quickly in the 10 minutes I wait for the final sparge to finish.

By the time I put the final sparge running into the boil kettle, it takes maybe another 10 minutes to get the whole volume to a boil and my burner is similar to the one in your post.

Thanks for all the input every one.. I will be loooking for a deal after work on the web lol.

The burner works fine. I use 3 of these in a 3-tier gravity system. On many of my brews, my preboil volume is 14.5 gallons, boiled down to 12 (90 min). Heating up sparge water (say, 12 gallons) from 55°F to 180°F takes about 30 min. On the boil, if I turn the burner on at about the half-way full mark, it's usually boiling in about 15-20 min. after the lauter is finished.

Are those burners relatively quiet? I have the sp-10 and it is a boiling monster, but it's deafeningly loud in my garage. :(

Ya I can't comment on any sort of noise... I work as a vibration tech. and make aerospace "noise" all day. As for the boil, I also start heating my first runnings and first sparge asap, so once my last sparge runnings are in the keggle, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get rolling on 15 gallons pre-boil.

I have the sq-14 also and it works great... and I found a really good trick for wind. I used a saw zaw and cut a steel barrel in half. I used the upper half to put around the burner. It keeps the wind away and heat in... I get to boil very fast.

You can always take the 10 psi regulator that comes with those units off and replace them with a 20 psi regulator, will cut boil time down considerably.

Back