Bayou Classic RBA5 Cooking Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
I tried a search and only saw it mentioned once. Anyone here actually purchase this and use?

http://www.csnstores.com/Bayou-Classic-RBA5-BAY1015.html#ProdDetails

BAY1015_l.jpg

no but that thing is bad ass. i have the KAB5 burner, which is the huge banjo burner on the bottom right. 125,000btus, or you can upgrade the regulator to 25psi I think and run 225,000btus.

malkore said:
no but that thing is bad ass. i have the KAB5 burner, which is the huge banjo burner on the bottom right. 125,000btus, or you can upgrade the regulator to 25psi I think and run 225,000btus.

The burner in the KAB5 is the BG-14, which comes with a 20 PSI regulator, rated at 185,000 BTU, and you can upgrade to the 30 PSI regulator which gets you to the 210,000 BTU

Nobody uses it because it's not really well suited for home brewing.

While it's cool looking IMHO you'd be better off spending the money on a 3 or 4 tiered setup.

Kilted Brewer said:
So no one has tried one of these out? May have to be the guinea pig. Free shipping on this guy really helps.
I looked at it once but ended up building a tower. I think it would work well though.

abracadabra said:
Nobody uses it because it's not really well suited for home brewing.

While it's cool looking IMHO you'd be better off spending the money on a 3 or 4 tiered setup.

What about it is not suited for brewing? That's the kind of responses I'm looking for. For less than $200 there is this option, or I could spend thousands on a true brew tree. I don't weld, don't know anyone that does so I'm not sure I'd be able to build one myself.

Well the reason I say it's not well suited is you really need 3 tiers. 1 for a HLT the next down for a MLT and the last or next to last for the boil kettle. If you wanted to count the floor as a 4 level you could gravity feed all the way into your fermenter.

Most folk don't use a burner in the mid level for the MLT. That would really require a pump for a RIMS or HERMS system.

There are a number of ways to make a tiered system. I've seen them made from a ladder or ladders and/or build out of 2x4's and plywood.

Here's what I did:

I got 2 folding metal scaffolds from Home Despot ($99 each) I've seen them on sale for less. On the top rung of the first scaffold sits a turkey fryer with the HLT (Hot Liquid Tank). There's a bridge between the 2 scaffolds made of 2 each 1"x 8"s at the mid level rung that holds the MLT (Mash Lauter Tun). On the lowest level of the 2nd scaffold sits the banjo burner and boil pot. Which is just high enough to allow for a gravity flow into the fermentation vessel (4 levels). Gavity feed all the way.

On the minus side it takes up more room than a dedicated brew stand when it’s in full operation. On the plus side the scaffolds fold up to store in a small space and are easily portable, have lockable wheels and are useful to me for a vareity of other functions. Plus if i want to there is enough room I could add another HLT, MLT and Boil kettle and do 2 each 10 gal. brews almost simultaineously.

You could make a 3 level out of 1 scaffold by making a bottom shelf out of 2 each 1"x 8"s and using the floor as your 3rd level.

I was going to ask this same question about a week ago. The main thing I was concerned about was how solid it is. Can it handle the weight of a couple full pots without folding over on itself or wobbling around. It has the two near perfect burners, the smaller one on top for the HLT or MLT and the big boy on the bottom for the brew kettle. And it folds up nice and small when not in use.

Looks like you could use the top for the hot water and put your MLT on a platform at the bottom level between the two burners. When your mash is done you could lift it to the top level to drain into the brew kettle on the bottom burner or pump it over without lifting. You might even be able to make a little wooden platform that sits between the two burners (both height-wise and side-wise) to make a half-assed three tier system (gravity might not be quite enough though with that thought.

If it was built beefy enough and stable enough I think it might be worth some tinkering. I highly encourage you to be the guinea pig ;) .

You and I seem to be on the same page. Had very similar thoughts. Using the upper burner to heat the water, have a platform, table, etc in the middle for the MLT and the bottome burner for the wort boil.

With SWMBO's OK, I'm seriously considering this.

Kilted Brewer said:
You and I seem to be on the same page. Had very similar thoughts. Using the upper burner to heat the water, have a platform, table, etc in the middle for the MLT and the bottome burner for the wort boil.

With SWMBO's OK, I'm seriously considering this.

There's not enough difference in height for that to work. Unless you want to lift the MLT full of wort or pump the MLT into the boil kettle. Also the lower level is so low you'll have to lift or pump from the boil kettle into your fermenter. To my way of thinking it's better to spend the money on somethings you'll be happy with for the long haul rather than something you'll want to upgrade.

But if you don't mine lifting then I don't see where this setup has much or any advantage over just having a single burner.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this just point out some stuff you might not have considered. My local propane dealer has something similar for $169 and I considered it myself.

Good luck:mug:

abracadabra....not discouraging at all. This is what I'm looking for. Open discussion on this. I go back and forth my self. Is it really worth it? Will I get out of it what I think I will?

I'm already lifting my boil kettle from the kitchen where I do the mash, to the backyard where I boil, and then again to dump in the fermentor. Not that I want to continue that, but that wouldn't change.

What I am liking about this is the two burners at different levels in one place. No more having to travel from the kitchen to the backyard. Compact, folded up and rolls away. I don't have a whole lot of storage space. Garage barley fits the Jeep, hardtop, softops, and few tools I actually do own. And the shed it tiny put probably my only spot to store.

But I hear and havae taken in your comments. Thank you!

A tall turkey fryer and the lower profile banjo burner may offer the same thing for less money. That's what I have and the turkey fryer sits atop the banjo burner for storage.

Back