Bayou Classic 1160?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Hassey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have brewed 8 1g batches now and am hooked. I am wanting to upgrade to a larger pot for 5-10g batches but I don't think spending hundreds of dollars just for a boil kettle is worth it. I would rather spend the extra money in fermentation temp control etc. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Bayou Classic 1160 62 qt kettle. I found it for $108 online and feel like its a good deal. I plan on doing BIAB for now and possible moving to cooler MLT and HLT. ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Nate

It'll work fine.

It's the right size if you want to do 10-gallon batches--but if you want to do 10-gallon BIAB, it may be a bit small. I do 5-gallon BIAB and I start with 7.25 gal of water, plus the grist. Double that would be just about the top of your kettle, maybe even over it. Make sure you read the reviews and questions on it.

Relax, Nathan, it's a pot! It'll do what pots do, and do it for many years. We obsess over petty details here, cause that's the kind of people most of us are. But realistically, buy what you are comfortable paying for and go make beer. Glad you are enjoying the hobby.

Back