Bavarian Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attym

Reaction score
This is the next brew I'm doing:

Bavarian Weizen OG: 1.051 FG: 1.010
3.3 lbs. Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
3 lb. Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
1 oz. Hallertau – 60 min.
1 oz. Hallertau – 30 min.
1 oz. Hallertau – 15 min.
WYeast Bavarian Wheat WY3638

I have a few questions. Once my water gets to a boil and i remove it from the burner, do i add the wheat liquid malt AND the extra dry malt extract at the same time?

Any suggestions on how to personalize this (i guess a suggestion isn't really personalizing) without losing the integrity of the hefe taste. I'm relaly looking for the banana signature taste.

Once the water is warm you need to add the malts and stir until dissolved.

For the can (liquid) you should remove the top of the can and place it in a pan of water about 1/2 full and heat it up. The malt will thin out when warm/hot. It will pour and dissolve easier.

Check other HW recipes on the hops. I think you're overdoing them. Just my opinion. :D

attym said:
This is the next brew I'm doing:

Bavarian Weizen OG: 1.051 FG: 1.010
3.3 lbs. Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
3 lb. Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
1 oz. Hallertau – 60 min.
1 oz. Hallertau – 30 min.
1 oz. Hallertau – 15 min.
WYeast Bavarian Wheat WY3638

I have a few questions. Once my water gets to a boil and i remove it from the burner, do i add the wheat liquid malt AND the extra dry malt extract at the same time?

Any suggestions on how to personalize this (i guess a suggestion isn't really personalizing) without losing the integrity of the hefe taste. I'm relaly looking for the banana signature taste.

I used about 1 tbsp of bitter, and 1 tbsp of sweet orange peel in secondary, and it came out quite nice. For that banana aroma, ferment towards the high end of what's recommended for your yeast. Or, use the Weihenstephaner yeast strain....it will give you even more of that character than the 3638.

One thing though....that batch of mine came out overcarbonated....I doubt the orange peel had anything to do with it, but it's still a mystery.

How long would you fridge condition? My IPA is pretty close to perfect for carbonation...I might let it go 2 more days (I'll try one tonight just to make sure) but it really won't need much longer.

Last time I tried one (about two days ago) the flavors weren't blended quite right, so I think it need more time to settle. I'm hoping fridge conditioning will take care of that.

Cheesefood, so how long was your bottling process...

I bottled on Monday and am already getting antsy! I was going to hold off for three weeks.

I'm on a one ferment system, so I fermented for 10 days, then bottled. I conditioned for a week before the first bottle was chilled, opened and drank. It had a nice head on it - about 3/8" that never got below 1/4" till I drank it down. The flavor of the beer started sweet, went bitter and had a slight alcohol burn on the way down.

I think I'll put it in my beer fridge today and let it sit for at least another 2 weeks. I should have AT LEAST a six pack of it left by then!

My second batch is on day 4 in the fermenter. I'm thinking of buying a glass carboy today along with ingredients for batch 3. I'm off work today so I can supervise the installation of our new floor (laminate hardwood). The wife's at work, so there's no voice of sensibility telling me NOT to go buy more toys! Just you guys, and I think I know which direction you'll point me in.

Its killing me, I know my kit has been delievered and sitting in front of my house... and it's 84 degrees out. i want to get home and out it in the fridge!

They put a cold pack on the liquid yeast.

This has been in the secondary for about four day... I decided to get a little nutty. I added 2lbs of frozen blueberries. This morning, there was some activity in there.

FYI, everyone was so dead-right about fridge conditioning. My IPA is now ripe. Although it's still a bit bitter and alcoholic, it's not bad for my first beer. My friends are requesting it when they come over. They've decided to dub my brewery "Robbobrau" (my nickname is Robbo, like Robb-o).

Thursday night was the first time I've been drunk on my own brew. It was a rewarding feeling to know that I was all buzzed up from my own creation.

One problem I'm noticing is inconsistent carbonation. Some are perfect, some are under and some foam up like an angry woman when I open them.

I had it in the secondary for about 10 days. I bottled it last night. it had a slight hefe smell and no blueberry smell. It didn't taste great, but as I learned from my last batch, it will once it carbonated and is chilled.

edit: actually, the blueberries were in for 10 days, the beer was in the secondary for 14 days (berries were and after thought)

Back