Bavarian Hefeweizen fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMiddle

Reaction score
I brewed a Northern Brewer Bavarian Hefeweizen kit a couple weeks ago. It had a o.g. of 1.050. Its been in a primary for around 16 days and its only at 1.024. My question is, how long should I keep this in the primary?
I plan on testing it again in a couple days to see if there any improvement on my gravity reading. I have done a handful of brews and have not had this issue before.. Thanks in advance!!
Cole

Report back when you have taken readings over at least 3 days... I think anyone here will probably tell you to see if there are changes... If so, it needs more time.. Also what is your fermentation temperature?

That is a very high FG for a weizen, and it should have finished by 16 days. What temperature was the beer fermented at? If you can, warm it up and give your bucket a swirl to stir the yeast up a little. How does it taste? Is it very sweet? Perhaps your hydrometer is not calibrated. Set it in room temp water and see what it reads, should be near 1.000.

I moved my carboy from a room that was about 65 to a room that was around 74 and fermentation kicked right back up. Left it for about a week and the hefe got right where it needed to be. Turned out great! thanks for your input!

Back