Bath sparge divided into 3or 4?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Was wondering if a bath sparge could be divided
Into 3 or 4 sparge baths? I currently double bath sparge.

IMHO that would be a waste of time. I really don't think you'll see a bump in efficiency and you may start to extract tannins.

Due to mash tun space, my Dad had to do a third batch spare to get the total volume needed, he ended up with 85% eff, instead of his normal 70-75%

Only you can decide if the time and benefits are worth it to you, since all brewing systems behave differently.

Due to mash tun space, my Dad had to do a third batch spare to get the total volume needed, he ended up with 85% eff, instead of his normal 70-75%

My guess is something else came into play to raise his efficiency 10-15% when adding a 3rd batch sparge. In theory I believe doing a second sparge should net a couple few points, and I would surmise a third sparge would give you about half of that.

My guess is something else came into play to raise his efficiency 10-15% when adding a 3rd batch sparge. In theory I believe doing a second sparge should net a couple few points, and I would surmise a third sparge would give you about half of that.

Well, I was there, I know his system and how to brew on it since I built it and used it for about 3 years before giving it to him. That was the increase whether your theory believes it did or not.

Well, I was there, I know his system and how to brew on it since I built it and used it for about 3 years before giving it to him. That was the increase whether your theory believes it did or not.

I think what wilserbrewer was saying is that, in most cases, there shouldn't be enough sugar remaining after sparging twice that just the 4th runnings would yield an additional 10-15% on top of all 3 initial run-offs.

Back