Bath sparge divided into 3or 4?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Gustavo

Reaction score
Was wondering if a bath sparge could be divided
Into 3 or 4 sparge baths? I currently double bath sparge.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
IMHO that would be a waste of time. I really don't think you'll see a bump in efficiency and you may start to extract tannins.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Reaction score
Due to mash tun space, my Dad had to do a third batch spare to get the total volume needed, he ended up with 85% eff, instead of his normal 70-75%

Only you can decide if the time and benefits are worth it to you, since all brewing systems behave differently.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Due to mash tun space, my Dad had to do a third batch spare to get the total volume needed, he ended up with 85% eff, instead of his normal 70-75%
My guess is something else came into play to raise his efficiency 10-15% when adding a 3rd batch sparge. In theory I believe doing a second sparge should net a couple few points, and I would surmise a third sparge would give you about half of that.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
Reaction score
My guess is something else came into play to raise his efficiency 10-15% when adding a 3rd batch sparge. In theory I believe doing a second sparge should net a couple few points, and I would surmise a third sparge would give you about half of that.
Well, I was there, I know his system and how to brew on it since I built it and used it for about 3 years before giving it to him. That was the increase whether your theory believes it did or not.

dcHokie

Reaction score
Well, I was there, I know his system and how to brew on it since I built it and used it for about 3 years before giving it to him. That was the increase whether your theory believes it did or not.

I think what wilserbrewer was saying is that, in most cases, there shouldn't be enough sugar remaining after sparging twice that just the 4th runnings would yield an additional 10-15% on top of all 3 initial run-offs.