Batch Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan my brewing calendar for the next few weeks and I have a few questions. I know there are more than one answer to some of these - but I'm just looking for a general idea.

I plan on leaving my beer in primary for 2-3 weeks or until FG is reached - whichever comes last. I also plan on only doing maybe 2 batches with bottling then moving onto kegging. I have a feeling after the 2nd bottling day I'm going to be tired of it. So my question is how long should I plan to leave beer conditioning in bottles? John Palmer says 2 weeks. The 3-2-1 method says one week. I also read somewhere three weeks. So which is it given how long I will be in primary.

Second, when I move onto kegging. After racking from primary will a week under serving pressure given 2-3 weeks in primary be suitable to start drinking the beer? Or should I leave it in keg longer to condition?

I know longer never hurts - but I'm just trying to get an idea of when the beer is suitable enough to serve and no longer green. Thanks.

I find a good rough guide to how long a particular style of beer will need is the Northern Brewer Print Catalog. For each of their kit beers they say how many weeks til drinkability. Even if I'm brewing from my own recipe, it gives you a rough idea.

When I bottled I always let them sit for at least 2 weeks. I'd then take 1 or 2 and put it in the fridge for a few days and then tested. If they weren't ready, I let sit another week or so, and repeat.

So is something like this reasonable?

i1555988_ferment.jpg

That is "reasonable" for a small to mid-size beer (I think...not an expert so...) but if you are brewing any "big" beers you will want to extend the condition stages out from 1 month to 1 year...depending...

(Example) I believe that the 08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout will be conditioning 7-8 months! (brewed New Years Day).

So...it depends...sorry, no absolutes in brewing.

-JMW

Chart looks reasnable, I however would replace the term "serve" with "taste test". Patience is the key here...I have found that 4-6 weeks from the kettle would be a better "serve" duration.

That being said, do as I say, not as I do! Sure I've rushed a beer from kettle to glass in 10-14 days. As you get more eperience you can fiddle w/ faster fermentations, higher flocculating yeasts, cold crashing and force carbing. These all work but there really is no substitute for time.

Thanks for the input. I'm mostly concerned with having a new beer every week even when I make the switch to kegging. If I have to wait an extra week or two for each batch thats fine.

I believe around here the suggested method for bottling is 1-2-3, instead of 3-2-1. One week in primary, two in secondary (three weeks in primary in lieu of a secondary) and three weeks bottle conditioning.

WhyTee said:
I believe around here the suggested method for bottling is 1-2-3, instead of 3-2-1. One week in primary, two in secondary (three weeks in primary in lieu of a secondary) and three weeks bottle conditioning.

And for kegging (forced carb)?

lngarrett said:
And for kegging (forced carb)?

You still want the "3 weeks" conditioning...it is just in a keg....

I tend to start drinking mine about 1-2 weeks after I put it on CO2...but I don't drink a lot...so I only get a few beers that are "green"

It really helps to "stock up"...I brewed my brown ale..and then once I could brewed my next beer...I then started drinking the brown ale (a little green). I then immediately started my lager. I then started yet another beer...

It REALLY help to have enough kegs...I have 6...and I am using them for my secondaries/conditioning.

I can drink the brown ale and not touch the others...and by the time the brown is gone..I will have a well conditioned beer ready for the tap..

Hmmm...I have a primary going to be empty in a few days...I should start thinking of my next brew..

Good luck.

-JMW

Latest posts

Back