Batch "sparging"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
I do like to do what I call "primary" and "secondary" mashes. I first mash at 60min or longer at temps ranging from 148f to 158F depending on what I want from the body, then I do a "batch sparge" at as close to 168F as I can get. The reason for the quotes is because I let it rest for 30 min. Is there a name for this? It's just that I've found I get much better efficiency this way.

I don't think there is a name for it. I do the same but only for 10-15 minutes and I am recirculating the whole time. How much better efficiency are you getting? Even you get 10% better efficiency you are only saving a dollar or two in grain.

I suspect my crush may be a little coarser than most, which I like because I don't seem to to get as much gunk in the tank when I drain. I'd probably get the same OG from a finer crush and shorter mash out but my system doesn't seem able to handle the fine crush so well. That's my favorite part of homebrewing though, the unexpected. I'm not one of those ultra-consistency guys. I like it when I try to brew something and it comes out something else entirely, but still good. I learn a lot from my mistakes and the only down side is that I get to drink beer.

I would call that an extended mash out. Typically a mash out is at 168-170F for 10 minutes to stop conversion and denature the enzymes. Since yours runs for 30 minutes I would simply call it an "extended" mash out (in quotes) :D

What you didn't specify is if you drain the first runnings (after the 148-158F mash) prior to mashing out at 168F.

Back