Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegasusherd

Reaction score
Hello All,

Hoping someone can clarify something for me. For my 5 gal batches, I use Beer Smith and do batch sparging with my 10 gal cooler. Based on my settings, B.S. calculates two equal spurges (not equal going in, but equal wort coming out).

I've never thought much about this, and have just combined the two sparge volumes into a single sparge, which seems to always fill my mash tun right to the brim. However, in thinking today, there must be some gain in efficiency to to do two sparges that don't fill the mash tun vs. one sparge that does fill it.

Can someone clarify for me why two spurges are preferable?

Thanks!

Clarification: When you fill the tun up with a single full sparge the water and grain mix and the residual sugar combines with the water, which you then drain off.

However, some of the water remains with the grain and doesn't leave the mash tun.

A smaller initial rinse gets most of that out and a second follow up rinse dilutes the residual sugar even further so that there is less residual sugar attached to the bits of grain.

Not only that, but a second sparge gets mixed up a second time which helps release some of the residual sugar locked up in the bits of grain.

FWIW I prefer a single rinse because it saves time and I don't mind the very small loss of efficiency.

A different question about batch psarging. How long should I stir the sparge water? Is it a set time or untill I it my taget temp?

Back