Batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Simple question when batch sparging do I need to let the grain sit after adding sparge water? Or can I just drain first runnings, dump in sparge stir it then drain again? I was letting it sit for like 10 minutes but I am trying to shave time off my brew day.

I believe the common consensus is that there is no reason to let it sit after stirring it. As soon as you start draining, the grain bed will compact and start acting as a filter. Provided you are also doing a vorlauf, you should be able to drain immediately.

I think letting it sit generally helps as when you open the valve the grain isn't 'sucked' out of suspension onto your manifold or whatever.

This is just in my experience though; not letting it sit with a large grain bill stuck the sparge (using manifold), but letting it settle for 5mins in the next batch (smaller bill), and slowly opening the valve made it work great.

I know... not a good comparison, many scientists will be turning in their graves.

I generally don't let it sit much after stirring thoroughly, which I think is more important. I usually open the valve pretty full for 10-15 seconds to clear the line and hose braid, then throttle back to a trickle to let the filter bed set. Then I gradually open the valve during the vorlauf - usually do 4-5 qts with this ramp up.

I've found I need to vorlauf more if I don't let it sit, but that's still way faster than waiting 5-10 min.

It seemed like a waste of time to let it sit glad I asked. I am trying to shave as much time as i can off my brew day.

Back