Batch Sparge Recipe Location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerdoc

Reaction score
Well, I'm taking the leap and moving to all grain. I'm a guy that likes to learn by example (hopefully not a bad example). I'm looking for a recipe for a marzen/oktoberfest for batch sparging, as discussed by the Denny Brew website with mash/drain and mash / drain technique (you know the simple one for us new guys). I'm having trouble getting through the suggestions of pounds of grain and then how much yield and by how much to increase the grain bill. Anyone know of a location I can find step by step instructions on how to do this for a marzen/oktoberfest batch sparge?

Recipes don't really differentiate between sparging techniques. They give you the ingredients and mash parameters and you then run it through your brewery with whichever method suits you. An exception to this might be an AG primer on the web somewhere, but you'd be stuck with whichever recipe they used as an example.

As far as an efficiency # to use when you've never done an AG batch before (chicken/egg thing), 65% is probably a good # to start with and then begin dialing it in for subsequent batches.

Take a look at the spreadsheet on this website and let me know your opinion. It seems very good at doing what I want, i.e. tweek a normal fly sparge recipe to one for batch sparging or no sparging.

home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/files/nbsparge.html

Looks like a lot of formulas to me ;) If it does what you want, go for it. I've done AG both ways (batch/fly) with no other calculations than calculating how much water I need for the batches as I like them to be equal. Fly sparging takes some of this out of play as long as you have sufficient water in the HLT. I didn't notice any difference in terms of efficiency other than batch sparging took about 15 minutes which made it a lot more efficient in terms of my time.

Thanks for the input. I mainly dont want to spend abunch of time and then have the whole batch come out and be way off as far as what I planned. I'll give it a try and see if it works.

Back