Batch size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around 60% of my batches target 2.5 gals of finished beer (done via BIAB on my stove in a 5 gallon kettle).

Around 35% are 5 gal batches (via BIAB outside on a propane burner in a 15 gal kettle). About half of these are split into two different fermenters and about half are just standard 5 gal batches.

Then I occasionally brew 11 gals of wort so that I split into 2 or 3 fermenters.

I have played around with brewing 3 to 3.5 gal batches on my stove that I ferment and serve out of the same keg. I like that size and approach, but I have limited room in my kegerator for kegs and it works better to have a full 5 gal keg, or a pair of 10L Torpedo kegs stacked.

I used to brew 1 gallon extract batches often, but I have not done that much in the past few years. In the past I also did a series of 1 gallon all-grain batches to try out base malts.

I did 5 gallon batches (batch sparge with 12 gallon cooler mash tun and a 10 gallon kettle) for quite a long time, but I've started moving to stovetop BIAB with a 5 gallon kettle doing 2.5 gallon batches. The smaller batches are a better fit for me although I'll still do the occasional 5 gallon batch.

Last edited:
A few months ago, I started to brew a double batch in a 30L pot (BIAB) and then dilute it in two fermenters of 23L each, so that I get 40L of beer in bottles. This significantly shortened my brew time and energy consumption, without noticeable loss in quality.

I started out with 5-gallon batches then after a few years went to 10 gallons. The 10-gallon batches when I lived around more people and had parties. Then back to 5-gallons. Lately I've been doing 3-3.5-gallon batches because I've moved and don't have as many people to help drink them. That and I don't drink as much now.

Since buying a "5 Gallon Kit" is kinda like buying a "1TB" hard drive, I didn't care when I was bottling. When I moved to kegging and using floating diptubes int the FV's though, I got obsessed with getting a full 5 G keg of clear beer so I adjusted my batch sizes to 6 or 12 G...the remaining beer from the bottom of the FV which is sometimes cloudy or picks up a bit of trub goes in bottles or baby-kegs.
:mug:

5 is typical, but a few 10's of stuff I want to lager a good while. I tend to nip at them while lagering and just when the beers get great, I blow the keg, so two kegs it is. Also, when I'm brewing for a festival it's usually 10 gallons - 5 for me and 5 for the people. (Think I just got a new name for a beer.)

I’m still trying to find the sweet spot. A few weeks ago, I did a 5 gallon batch on consecutive days for 10 gallons. A couple weeks later, I did a single 10 gallon batch that I split into two 5 gallon corny kegs. I’m still using a small keezer, so I can’t accommodate the 15 gallon sanke keg I recently picked up. I would like to try a 15 gallon batch sometime.

I started with propane and a 15 gal kettle so I could do 5 or 10 gal batches, but I have since switched to the 10.5 Foundry. I rarely made 10 gal batches. Maybe once a year. So back to 5 gal batches exclusively.

2.75 to 3.00 gallon batches, on my crappy glass stovetop, mashing at most about 7 lbs of grain (in a bag). For higher gravity beers, I do partial mash with DME.
I have been wanting to try some stove top batches using DME to get me up to 5.5 gals of wort (so brewing a higher gravity wort and topping up in the fermenter). It is just a lot easier for me to brew on my stovetop without worrying about weather and day light hours (vs outdoors on propane). While a 2.5 gal batch fits my needs most of the time, 5 gal batches are sometimes helpful, especially for proven recipes that I want to drink or to bring along a keg to an event (or a 5 gal batch that I split with 2 yeasts).

I once brewed 5.5 gals of Irish Red with an OG of 1.048 (as I recall) on my stove. I made around 3.5 gals of a higher gravity wort that I topped up in the fermenter. I doubt I could push this over around 1.055 without more hassle than I care to take on.

I've just done 5g into a keg, although I have the capacity to do 10g, I don't think I'll ever do that because it'll take me forever to drink it all or give it away...

A friend of mine does a lot of experimental batches in the 2 - 3 gallon size via BIAB. It gives him a chance to dial in a recipe without a big expenditure of time, money, ingredients, etc.

5 gallon batches. I like to be different........:oops:

Serious note, I'm thinking about scaling down to 2-3 gallon batches. I just don't drink as much as I'd like/want plus it seems the smaller the batch, the quicker my brew day.
We're all different!

I don't drink like used to either but I do love brewing so I just do the styles like the most. I have about a dozen solid recipes brew from. I can justify ten gal batches that way. 2-3 gallon batches wouldn't work for me just yet.

Seems funny that you ask for the average batch size of "everyone" and people are telling what their own average batch size is. Which isn't the answer to the question, technically. :)

I suppose when everyone answers the question, then you can average them all together and know.

I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours! :bigmug:

I do 15 gallon batches (actually netting out with 14-14.5 gallon batches) but usually give away 3/4 of it. Two-three growlers every week to tennis partners, then 1-2 to kids, friends, etc, and of course farming out a keg to other friends. Ultimately I brew about one batch a month at this rate.

I start at 1 gallon, bumped up to 1.3 to have a 12 pack of bottled beer. Then I moved up to 3.5- 4 gallons because twice the beer with the same amount of time and work. Slightly more time bottling but the rest is pretty much the same.
That's how it all starts, first it's smaller batches then slowly larger ones. Before you know it you're at 15 gallon batches then you start to ramp down. It's a vicious cycle, thank God it's fun.

I brew 3.5 gallon batches to get 2.5 gallons finished beer in my 2.5 gallon kegs. I have 6 of them and they're pretty much all full. I'm barely drinking these days so I'm considering what to do. I could give more beer away, but that takes work and isn't as easy as it used to be. A lot of people I know are drinking less in general.
I'm starting to play with lower abv beers, aiming for 3.2% but trying to get full flavor. Not sure if this will be the answer or if I'll need to consider whether brewing makes much sense for me at some point. I'm not willing to go smaller than the batch size I'm currently producing. I also don't seem to enjoy brewing as much as I used to.

I start at 1 gallon, bumped up to 1.3 to have a 12 pack of bottled beer.

I have found those little tenths of a gallon really make a big difference with "1 gallon" batches. If you are fermenting in a 1 gallon jug, you might be lucky to get 6 or 7 beers. I have some of the PET Little Big Mouth Bubbler fermenters so there is plenty of headspace to get a full 1 gallon of finished beer into bottles. It seems small, but those extra 4 or 5 beers really help if you want to share some beers with friends, or just let a few bottles age for a while.

5.75 to 6.00 gallons before fermentation to fit 5 gallon keg after fermentation

Latest posts

Back