Batch size problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bitterbrush

Reaction score
Today I went and bought the grain for 5 gallon recipe. My brew shop noticed the grain bill was bigger than expected for 5 gallons. So when I got home I did some checking and found that the recipe is for a 6 gallon batch. All my grain is mixed together and is enough for 6 gallons, so scaling it down in Beersmith for 5 gallons and re-weighing the grain is not going to work.

I only have a 6.5 gallon primary, is this going to be big enough for 6 gallons of this pale ale wort?

or

Should I just go with the 6 gallon batch and only use 5? I can't see how this would mess up the recipe by just not using some of the post boil wort and only racking 5 gallons. Maybe 5.5 into the primary?

At least I caught this before I brewed it!

I do 5.5-6 gallon batches in better bottles, but fermcap-s foam control is pretty much essential. You could do a blowoff tube, but you'll lose so much you'd almost just be better off using only 5 gallons and saving the rest for something else.

You could turn this into a stronger more intense beer by using the entire grain bill and continuing to boil yourself down to 5 or 5.5. You could up the abv and flavor ~15-20% by doing that. I'd much rather do that than dump a gallon.

EDIT:

Another thought, though... Do you have another batch you're ready to start. If you need a starter, you could use the extra gallon (or portions thereof) for that. Just a thought.

All my grain is mixed together and is enough for 6 gallons, so scaling it down in Beersmith for 5 gallons and re-weighing the grain is not going to work.

Why not, just reduce the amount of ingredients proportionally? Mix the grain bill really well first. Weight of Current Grain Bill / 6 = Total grain needed per gallon. Total Grain per gallon X 5 = Total Grain Bill for 5 gallons.

I have to agree with Cimirie. Depending on what type of beer you are making you could end up with something phenomenal. Just be sure to keep a good record of what you do in case you do like it.

You could turn this into a stronger more intense beer by using the entire grain bill and continuing to boil yourself down to 5 or 5.5. You could up the abv and flavor ~15-20% by doing that. I'd much rather do that than dump a gallon.

EDIT:

Another thought, though... Do you have another batch you're ready to start. If you need a starter, you could use the extra gallon (or portions thereof) for that. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Many of us figure a 6 gallon batch means 5.5 gallons into the fermenter after leaving the trub behind in your BK and 5 gallons into the keg or bottles after leaving the sediment behind in the fermenter. This way you actually get 5 galloms, or a bit more drinkable brew.

Bob

Back