Batch Number 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog21

Reaction score
OK... Going to go start Batch Number 2 this weekend. I am thinking something light and fruity (apricot or something similar).

First batch was a fail... After speaking with some local home brewers I think I either didn't get my wort temp low enough or I killed the yeast by adding it dry instead of liquifying first... Any thoughts would be appreciated here as well.

Anyway... Wish me luck on batch 2!

What was your first brew?

What styles do you prefer?

Ultimately, you should be brewing stuff you will enjoy, not what friends or this board think you should brew. Also, take detailed notes when you brew. It REALLY helped me starting out.

You can't kill the yeast by adding it dry. Pitch temp for the average ale yeast should be something like 62-70F. 80,90F or above & you'll get all sorts of off flavors. The yeast may stress,but not die in any sifnificant numbers.

What about your first batch was a fail? What went wrong and most importantly, what did you do to try to fix it before you gave up?

Back