Quantcast

Batch Infection - Possible fix w/Brett/Other funky bugs?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BeerBrianNC

Reaction score
I recently made a batch of my favorite Dubbel right before going out of town for a week. I had a little less than 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy and put it down in the basement to ferment without a blowoff tube (the only one I had was pretty old and I didn't want to risk infection). As you probably guessed, the airlock clogged and ejected the stopper and the beer was left in the open basement until I returned home.

So I replaced the airlock and the beer kept fermenting and fermenting...The gravity kept dropping and is now around 1.006. The beer has an unpleasant cidery/acetaldehyde flavor. I'm wondering if pitching some brett or Roeselare Blend and aging for a few months to a year could fix this beer. Is it worth a shot or should I dump it?

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You could try. With oxygen exposure there is a risk that Acetobacter or Enterobacter infection. Additional bugs won't fix that. If it didn't make you sick, it's worth the experiment, the low gravity shows that fermentation was not inhibited by low pH. Do you have a pH meter?