Batch gone wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_D

Master Of My Domain
Reaction score
This is the third batch of California Common that I’ve brewed since I started this great hobby last December. Something’s different with this one though.. It’s going crazy!

Usually, I’m going into the fermenter with an OG around 1.052 - 1.053, and end up with an FG around 1.007 - 1.010. Starting out, this batch was right on par with the others, 12 gals in the unitank at 1.052. It took off quickly as usual and started dropping within 24 hrs. That was Tuesday evening, and it’s still going. Normally, it mellows out after 3 or 4 days. It’s coming up on a week now and it’s still bubbling and dropping like a rock. It’s currently sitting at 1.001, gonna be pretty potent for a Cali Common! I have a feeling it’ll be even lower in the morning judging by the bubble count it’s still putting out. Not sure what’s different, guess I just got a couple lively packs of yeast.

79825D25-8478-4A0D-9349-EF12426491B2.jpeg

It's very unusual to go that low in fg with beer wort.... Normally there are a number of long chain sugars that don't get broken down by the yeast. Makes me think there's an issue. Could your ispindle be off?

Another possibility is infection, some wild yeasts or bacteria can eat just about anything but it usually makes the beer taste sour/spoiled...

Unless you've used some extra amylase in order to make a very fermentable wort I'm not sure what's happening to your beer.

Nothing extra was used. Hopefully it’s not an infection, I’m pretty meticulous about cleaning and sanitary transferring. I’m going to pull a sample and see what I get with a manual reading and see if it’s sour.

The more I think about it, the more I think it’s definitely got something bad going on. I guess the Ispendel could be off reading wise, but it’s been gassing off for 6 days which isn’t the norm with this recipe from my experience. I have a feeling I’ll be dumping the trub and crashing it today. Even if it’s not sour, it’s most likely going taste off or bad. We’ll see.

Well, it appears that I have an indication issue… thankfully! 😁

Pulled a sample, it had its normal sweet, bread like with slight hint of fruitiness aroma. Checked the SG, it’s sitting right around 1.011. Looks like the Ispindel is off by 0.010.. damn electronics! 🙄

Latest posts

Back