Batch/fermenter sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
I am completely new to brewing beer (though I have made some wine in the past). I am going all grain right from the start and I have a question about batch sizes. Please don't reply if you are just going to flame me for skipping extract brewing.

I plan on kegging my beer so my target final volume will be 5 gallons. I have 2 6-gallon plastic carboys which I plan on using as primary fermentation. If I subtract the trub and yeast volume at the bottom of the fermenter will I have enough fluid to properly fill a 5 gallon clearing vessel or do I really need to use a larger 6.5 gallon bucket? On a similar note, if I dry hop, will I have enough room in a 6 gallon carboy?

A 6.5 gallon one would give a bit more head space for a 5 gallon brew. On the other hand,my Cooper's 6.7(?) gallon micro brew fermenter can easilly handle 6 gallon batches. My BB Ale Pail is 6.5 gallon,but taller & skinnier than the micro brew FV. So 5 gallons in that one leaves just the right head space.
A 6 gallon carboy for 5 gallons would be just barely big enough in my opinion. If you use a blow off rig.

Sounds like you are saying use a 1" blow off setup instead of an airlock and I should be fine.

Well,you'd only have 1 gallon og head space. It's always good to start fermentation with a blow off. Initial fermentation can be quite vigorous,blowing off a lot of co2 & krausen foam. It'd blow the airlock off,making a real mess. When the vigorous action slows down,you can install a sanitized airlock.

Well,you'd only have 1 gallon og head space. It's always good to start fermentation with a blow off. Initial fermentation can be quite vigorous,blowing off a lot of co2 & krausen foam. It'd blow the airlock off,making a real mess. When the vigorous action slows down,you can install a sanitized airlock.

If I used a Burton Union would I still need a 1" blow off tube?

Back