Bat Houses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Does anyone have one? Wife and I have been reading up on them, and looking over the tips on our states conservation page. Just curious if people have any and if they notice any help with mosquito control?

We have them in the attic. Sometimes they get in the house. I don't know if they keep the mosquitoes down, But I would rather have the bugs than a wife going bat crap crazy any time she sees one.

all you meed is a big flashlight and some cardboard. just trace a picture of a bat on the ... oh never mind (thought you were looking for a bat signal):ban:

They don't work.....He never comes. :(

That's what SHE said. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!!! :D

Bats can eat thousands of mosquitos in an evening. I get one in my garage every once in awhile and watch them fly around in the evening twilight. I think they help and I've read that they do also. It would be a good thing to build. Simple box design.

Wisconsin's Yellowstone Lake State Park (NOT Yellowstone National Park) has many bat houses. It is the one state park that you can go to and never need bug spray.

I know heat is an issue and they need to have a certain % of sunlight so they don't get to hot or cold during the summer. But then I was also wondering how much bat **** ends up down your siding if its way up in your eves. Since my house backs to woods I was thinking of putting one up in a tree a ways not sure if it will work though.

Well its good to hear they at least DO keep the mosquito population down. Thats the only reason I want them, well and to have a tons of bats swarming from my property to scare the neighbors.

I know heat is an issue and they need to have a certain % of sunlight so they don't get to hot or cold during the summer. But then I was also wondering how much bat **** ends up down your siding if its way up in your eves. Since my house backs to woods I was thinking of putting one up in a tree a ways not sure if it will work though.

Well its good to hear they at least DO keep the mosquito population down. Thats the only reason I want them, well and to have a tons of bats swarming from my property to scare the neighbors.

Bat guano is good fertilizer. Put them in the trees, lots of bugs to eat in the shade.
Here's a good article. Don't put the house in the shade. http://www.batconservation.org/content/How to put up a bat house.html#northeast

Doesn't the guano though carry some diseases, including some crazy fungus that can infect the lungs? Just pointing out that I don't want pick it up and use it on something. :cross:

My parents put several up on the 15 acres that I grew up on and we NEVER had any bats inhabit them. That's not to say that you won't have success, but be warned that you may not.

We used to have a bunch of em on the farm (bats, not bat houses).

I took my girlfriend for a walk in the moonlight one night, and as we passed the wooded area I chucked a rock into the trees, knowing full well what the result would be.

I wonder why that relationship never lasted, what with me taking her on romantic moonlit walks and all :D

back on subject: They did keep the yard free of pesky bugs. They would circle the yard lights while chowing down on squeeters

we built two last year at a local state park workshop. put up as high as our ladder would reach (on the hop trellis posts). so far no bats.

they said 16-20feet is best and that your chances of having bats is 50%

Sure they sometimes get rabies but so do coons and dogs; it isn't a reason to not try and attract the little skeeter eaters.

I always had a couple hanging up in the trees in the backyard. Not enough for total skeeter control, but every once in a while they would swoop down over the pool at night for a drink. Pretty cool (at least I thought so)

I've got a lot of bats around my place here, but they are not interested in bat houses. They do catch the bugs though and it's fun watching them in the evening.

It's barn swallow season and watching those babies fly is cool. I like them better than bats, because they eat the ()&^$%^*( yellow jackets.

Bats are fantastic for eating mosquitos, and I encourage everyone to build them houses.

Many bats in recent years as falling prey to a disease they call White Nose Syndrome. It's killing them by the thousands in many caves in the east and midwest. I suggest you read up on it. Current precautions are that cavers clean their suits and equipment between caves, and they are restricting access to caves in several states due to this massive outbreak. They don't know exactly what causes it, but want to discourage transmission by human contact.

Anyway, bat houses are relatively cheap, and pretty simple to build if you have some guidelines. I have plans that I think I can find somewhere. I've been meaning to build a couple, but haven't got around to it.

They do prefer the sun for a warm sleep, and putting a house in the shade is not going to do as well, from what I read. 16-20 feet sounds right, IIRC.

Also, you definitely DON'T want to encourage bats to live in your house. If you have them, I suggest evicting them if you can. They can spread a respiratory disease through their guano, and having that in your house can spread it to you. It dries up and becomes airborne and dangerous. They are fine if they live outside where the guano can fall to the ground and get washed away by the rain.

Back