Basic sparge water heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeysab

Reaction score
Can't find anything like this so maybe its a dumb idea. Looking to go DIY, and the simplest, cheapest route. I know it can be done with an auber pid and ssr, but having been out of brewing for awhile, i'm noticing some different names of controllers and such in my reading.

What I want is a simple digital controller to control a hot rod for heating sparge water. I just wanna set the temp, and not have to worry about monitoring it, like i've been doing on my stove top. It's gonna be a 110v 2000w heating element.

So what are the options out there nowadays? It's a simple project, just looking for advice on cheapest and simplest pieces of equipment to make this happen. Thanks for looking, electric brew jedi.

Simplest option looks something like the schematic below:

2KW 120V PID Control.jpg

Fat lines represent 12AWG wire, and thin lines can be down to 22AWG (but larger ok.) Main power switch needs to be rated at 20A. Many standard wall switches will work for this. If the control box is metal, then both the box and cover should be connected to ground. Diagram shows Auber SYL-2362 PID but others will work (the Auber SYL-2362 appears to be the same as the "612" PID available from multiple sources - just Google "612 PID".) Many SSR's will work, but I suggest you avoid Fotek as they have a poor reliability record (a Mager MGR-1 D4840 is a good, reasonably priced choice.)

Brew on :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back