Basic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Crash

Reaction score
I've done a hand full of extracts when it dawned on me I may not be doing something right. After cooling my wort should I dump everything including the hops sediment into the fermenter or leave the sediment in the boil pot? I usually dump everything, but my last batch I didn't dump all of the hops sediment from the boil whould I?

sahuaro

Reaction score
I'm just a nooB myself, but if your not using some sort of bag to contain your hops or steeping grains, I would be straining your wort on its way to the fermentor.

helps with clarification,

MaynardX

Reaction score
Your beer will not be ruined if you leave it in there, but you will have a better final product if you strain it out.

OP
Crash

Crash

Reaction score
I should have been more specific; I use hops pellets in the boil which pretty much break dow into a sediment after the boil and settle to the bottom when I chill.

llazy_llama

Reaction score
Not really. After 60 minutes boiling, most of the lupulin has already been extracted. Strain or don't strain, I don't notice a huge difference in flavor... just in clarity.

rsmith179

Reaction score
There's obviously a few ways to do this. When I first started, I whirlpooled my wort a few times as it was cooling and then used the siphon to transfer the wort. Now I just use a strainer, but I do also use hop bags. Would highly reccommend picking up one if you're using pellet hops. Much less trub that way...

OP
Crash

Crash

Reaction score
Really appreciate the info I'm sure this will improve my brew. Thanks guys

Donthoseme

Reaction score
There was a thread a while back that said that dumping the sludge into the fermenter helped the fermentation to some extent. It said there was something in then trub that acted as a nutrient but also killed head retention.

The article went through dumping or leaving it in the brewpot. The final answer was.....

go ahead and leave it in the brewpot. A better way to make sure you have good fermentation is just to make sure that you oxygenate and pitch healthy yeast.

spitfire

Reaction score
I had thought I read here somewhere that it isn't good to pour the wort into a strainer as you are pouring into the primary. So it is ok to use a strainer?

Nugu

Reaction score
I'd assume so as long as it's sanitized. I prefer to boil food grade cotton Cheese cloth and fold it 2-4 layers thick and lay it in the funnel when I run the wort through to the carboy. Bag of cheese cloth is only a few dollars at your local wally world (crafts section).

Edit: Though I'd still used a boil bag, or you end up cleaning out the cheese cloth a *lot*

spitfire

Reaction score
Since the cheese cloth isn't to expensive I was just thinking use it and throw it. My funnel has a screen already in it.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had thought I read here somewhere that it isn't good to pour the wort into a strainer as you are pouring into the primary. So it is ok to use a strainer?
Oh, straining as it goes into the primary is good! You're helping to aerate the beer, as you pour it through a sanitized strainer/colander. You don't want to do it after fermentation, though.

I'm one of those "just dump it all in" people, though. Unless I'm using a ton of hops, I just dump most of it in the fermenter. When I get my keggle drilled and a ballvalve put in, I might have to do something else to keep that from clogging, but for now I siphon about half of it, then lift up the pot and pour the rest in. Sometimes through a strainer, sometimes not. (The only reason I siphon part is because I'm a 135 pound weakling and can't lift 5.5 gallons of wort off of the stove)

Mencken

Reaction score
I do partial mashes, and so I have a grain bag. I don't used a hop bag during the boil though. What I've found to work well is after I'm done the grains, I clean and sanitize my grain bag, then just set up in my fermenter so it's attached at the top with clips (like the pic below, only on my fermenter. Then I just pour the cooled wort through this. I unclip the bag, and shake it a little to get it to drain fully. I figure this is two birds, one stone cause it gets rid of the hops and other sediment, and helps to oxygenate the beer too.