Basic question about cask ale procedures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKnuckle

Reaction score
I have searched high and low and can't seem to find a clear answer to this question, because all the articles focus on how to handle the cask itself.

After primary fermentation is done at standard ale temps, and beer is racked into the serving cask along with priming solution and optional finings/hops, does one:
  • Perform secondary fermentation at cellar temps (52-55ºF) and keep it there for serving; or
  • Perform secondary fermentation at standard ale temps (60-68ºF) ...and then drop to cellar temps for serving?
I'll keep it there for now... thanks

I'm by no means an expert, but I think cask ale carbonation is typically done at typical ale fermentation temps. Also, I believe that traditionally the beer was racked with some residual sugars remaining, rather than priming with more sugar, but that adding priming sugar has become more common.

Thanks @VikeMan. There are different ways to introduce fermentables, the most traditional being wort (gyle) or residual sugar.

I’m just focusing on the temperature. Everything refers to “cask conditioning” and cites cellar temps. There’s never a distinction made between actually carbonating vs. maturation, the latter of which is definitely in the low 50s.

I'm by no means an expert, but I think cask ale carbonation is typically done at typical ale fermentation temps. Also, I believe that traditionally the beer was racked with some residual sugars remaining, rather than priming with more sugar, but that adding priming sugar has become more common.
Yes, traditionally is "casked" with some residual sugar but you need to know your yeast and the recipe to know the carb lev you'll get

I think is better to prime the first times with a recipe and once you know it, go the traditional way

Thanks @VikeMan. There are different ways to introduce fermentables, the most traditional being wort (gyle) or residual sugar.

I’m just focusing on the temperature. Everything refers to “cask conditioning” and cites cellar temps. There’s never a distinction made between actually carbonating vs. maturation, the latter of which is definitely in the low 50s.
The Craft Beer channel made a video with Five Points, I don't remember if they mentioned that specific point but they interviewed the head brewer about cask beer so it's worth the view

There’s also a brew strong podcast episode from 11/16/2016 on cask ales that’s worth a listen

I have searched high and low and can't seem to find a clear answer to this question, because all the articles focus on how to handle the cask itself.

After primary fermentation is done at standard ale temps, and beer is racked into the serving cask along with priming solution and optional finings/hops, does one:
  • Perform secondary fermentation at cellar temps (52-55ºF) and keep it there for serving; or
  • Perform secondary fermentation at standard ale temps (60-68ºF) ...and then drop to cellar temps for serving?
I'll keep it there for now... thanks

I have had this exact same question and I couldn't find the answer so I tried both with several poly pins. The casks stored at 55 never really carbonated so I would recommend storing warmer.

The other thing I noticed through trials was that the beers where I added priming sugar and refermented had much less yeast character, or at least different yeast character. I greatly preferred the flavor of the beers where I cold crashed early and then used the last few gravity points to carbonate. The timing is tricky though.

The best solution that I have found with modern homebrewing equipment (I have a untitank) is to close up the untitank toward he end and use a spunding valve to get 1.5vols of CO2 and then simply cask the carbonated beer for storage and serving.

In the batch I have going currently, my first attempt at something approaching cask ale, I reserved boiled wort from the batch that I stored at 39F in a Mason jar. I primed with that. I know that sometimes additional yeast is added in cask, but it's not universally practiced, and I didn't do that. However, the vessel is sitting for two days now at 55F and I'm thinking, hmm... maybe that ain't right. I think I'm going to warm it up.

I did just come across this, implying once again that fermentation does occur at cool temps. It's so confusing.

"Storage temperatures above about 19° C (66° F) lead to too vigorous secondary fermentation and high pressure inside the cask."

Temperature of Beer in Storage and at Fining - Murphy and Son

But I just checked my cask's progress with a spunding valve, and it's sitting at 6 psi after only two days of secondary fermentation. That's already 1.4 volumes of CO2 (~57F)! So argh... I'm leaving it alone for now.

Last edited:
Yeah... I've had that thread bookmarked for a long time! But I haven't read it end to end in one go. Definitely worth a revisit.

Back