Basic mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolkouski

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Pedro and I wanted to start making Cyser. I spent hours searching and i could not find how much apple juice i have to put per kilogram of honey. Can anyone help me? I'm new to all of this so i don't know very much of brewing. And one more thing, i saw that Cyser seats on 12% - 14% of Alcohol percentage, could I make one ate 5% to 7,9% at max? Thanks!

A mead should have 51% of the fermentable sugars from honey. The problem with a 7% mead, is that you can get close to 7% from straight apple juice. So if you're going for a mead, you're probably going to need to cut the apple juice with water, and you'll wind up with a very thin flavored beverage.

A mead should have 51% of the fermentable sugars from honey. The problem with a 7% mead, is that you can get close to 7% from straight apple juice. So if you're going for a mead, you're probably going to need to cut the apple juice with water, and you'll wind up with a very thin flavored beverage.
Which is why my cysers are typically 13%, 1.050 from cider plus 50 points of honey.

What if I killed the yeast before it fermented more than 7,9%? Could that work?

Normal apple juice or fresh pressed cider will produce 6 - 7% alcohol without any honey. Your best bet would be to make hard cider and sweeten it with honey when you're done.

For a normal cyser (13 - 14%) you would use 1.4 lbs honey per gallon of cider (.644 kg per 3.78 ltr).

What if I killed the yeast before it fermented more than 7,9%? Could that work?

This is a lot harder than it sounds. You would have to measure the SG at the time when the fermentation is going the strongest, and then simultaneously cold crash to almost freezing to force the yeast to go into hibernation, and then sulfite and sorbate the heck out of your must. The risks for weird/off flavors is extremely high, and there is absolutely no guarantee it would work.

The better plan of action, would be to make a 13% cyser, stabilize it, and then dilute it back down to your desired ABV, but my guess is that you will wind up with a very flavor thin beverage.

Back